Downforce» Forums » General

Subject: Runaway leader seems to always win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oskar Ohyeah
Denmark
København N
flag msg tools
First of all, what a great and fun game. We just seem to have a pretty bad issue with a runaway leader.

I have played 5 games and the first car past the first betting line won every game. 4 out of 5 of those cars also being the pole position car. And all games we played with the "no 8-card before the first betting line" house rule as suggested in other threads.

It seems almost impossible to catch up with the car in front if that player has just half descent cards. Especially on the "hard" Monaco type map. If you get a ahead on that map you win and if you're behind early you can be sure to finish in the bottom 3.

Of course it's a group think thing as well, since most players - especially those who are far behind - tend to just bet their money on the car in front and therefore not contributing to stopping that car from getting even further ahead.

It also seems that the competition between 2nd, 3rd and 4th car result in those cars getting losing a lot of movement points from burnt cards and blocks etc.

We really like the feel of the game but as pole position player it's really a no brainer to just drop a couple of high cards and then your 8 and that's about it.

Any ideas on how to deal with this issue? What about making it so that you cannot bet on your own car? Or you cannot bet on the same car?

Or perhaps increasing the price for pole position by 1 million after the auction phase?

Any ideas are very welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about ignoring the bets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, not using the betting might help. It would also help to use open no-limit auction for the cars at the start so that you can make sure people pay for pole position and people have more control of which cars they win (probably scale up the payouts too). Basically I'm saying make the game more like some of the earlier iterations (Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix) which I think is a good thing. You still can have a runaway leader in this version but it is much less likely since only one person is invested in each car and, even if it does happen, it's much less likely to be game defining since hopefully you made somebody pay more for pole position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, betting on the correct car, but having your car(s) finish last or near-last, does not maximize your earnings; i.e. the "screw it... I'll just bet the leader and help make sure it finishes first" strategy doesn't really pay out.

As far as getting into a runaway leader position by throwing some high cards as well as your 8... well, that really depends upon the hand you were dealt. It's easier said than done in my experience. Your average player count matters here; with, say, six players, everyone gets 9 cards plus the 8 of their color. The odds of you having several 5's and 6's in your color aren't high.

Also, nothing stops others else from doing the same thing you're trying to do... they can burn their 8 and throw some high cards, too. Often, I've found that burning your high movers early will put you at a disadvantage, as you basically run out of steam halfway through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Ohyeah
Denmark
København N
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the input.

I don't think ignoring the bets is a viable option. It would change the game dramatically, and I kind of like the betting part.

I have only played with 3 or 4 people, so the player count might have been too low as you point out, Apostle Green. We have had plenty of cards to choose from (especially as three players) and all of us have had sufficient cars to give the pole position a really good chance at going all the way.

Perhaps house rules are more important in a 2-4 player game.

I played one round today with two friends and the same thing happened but increasing the price for the pole position kind of impoved the betting part.

I will try to implement an open auction next time when i play the game with a low player count.

Tomorrow i'm playing with a player count of 6. I love Christmas holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Ohyeah
Denmark
København N
flag msg tools
I played a bunch today. I highly recommend the following:

- playing with 5-6 player
- not allowing the 8 card to get played before the first betting line
- not allowing multiple bets on the same car

the last rule worked really well for us.

Implementation of the listed house rules solved the problem basically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I think we'll put out soon is a mode for a "Grand Prix" of all four tracks (including the two new tracks from the expansion), where a player's standing in the race is important for a tally of all races.

I've found many times that players will try to give themselves "a good score" while making choices that almost certainly mean they can't win (like betting on the leader and letting their own cars not finish).

Every group is different, and my general advice is to try something new and see what happens.

Also, collusion is encouraged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.