Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I have some questions that arose in a game.

1. Are special monsters still just normal monsters for the purpose of abilities. eg when the count is a vampire, does the wooden shuriken work. Or in another case would the lucky charm work against the Count in both his forms?

2. Is the ally considered a monster? I'm thinking surely not. For example, if you used the dragon leash and the ally was next, would the next monster be the one 'after' the ally or the ally himself. Why you would set a dragon on your ally is beyond me but I thought I'd check what others thought.

3. My other question has come up before but the answer was confusing and didn't seem to take into account the specific example in the rulebook.
There is a contradiction in the rulebook.
In the following forum post:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1800069/lucky-coin-ambiguit...

this question comes up but Antoine's answer contradicts what is said in the rulebook and he doesn't explain why so I feel it is still partly un-addressed. Any definitive answer would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If the Count is treated as a Vampire, then yes Wooden Shuriken will work.

2. Ally is considered a Monster.

3. You keep defeating even monsters that you reveal, until you reveal a monster that a) isn't an even number and b) you cannot defeat using another equipment. If you are able to defeat the monster using another equipment, the chain does not break.

To understand this, you need to understand the two states of a monster upon reveal. Either the monster applies its effect (damage, even if its 0 damage, lose equipment, etc etc), or you defeat the monster using an equipment thus it's unable to applies its effect.

The Lucky Coin allows you to chain the defeats. As long as you reveal even numbers, the Lucky Coin itself will defeat it. If you reveal a monster that isn't an even number, then you need to defeat it using another equipment, otherwise that monster will apply it's effect and you'll lose the chain. Basically, the trigger to break the chain is when a monster is able to apply it's effect, not when you reveal an odd monster. This means that Ally and Gelatinous Cude, both without a number, will break the chain unless you defeat them somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Scott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

The ally being a monster makes little sense thematically to me but if that is the rule then I will concede.

Your answer for 3 is well explained and also what I thought but as per the link I included, the designer of the game disagreed but I am guessing that it was a brain fart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.