Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Mythic Battles Painting Project

I have decided to try my hand at painting... .. . again.

As some of you may know I have made noises about this many times... and even done a few here and their but have never really committed to the process.

My last attempt at miniatures was nearly 4 years ago with Fury of Dracula (Second Edition). These came out so badly that I was depressed and stopped before continuing on my next set I had planned for... Mice and Mystics.

My only confidence builder was that the Fury miniatures were very small and had so little detail. In comparison to normal minis, let alone high detail minis like we get from Kickers nowadays, there was just nothing to work with. So while these came out subpar, I think I m able to do a lot better

The only other paint work I have done recently was about a year ago when I started to paint the Cogs for Tzolk'in. These came out very good I feel, and I am proud of them. I'm on holidays with the family just taking a break, so can only post images I have on the laptop or already posted to the geek. My current cogs are much further along, though still incomplete.

Equipment

I have always wanted to try my hand at Airbrushing for the seemingly great look it brings as well as the supposed time saving aspect it brings. Anyway I have been wanting to try airbrushing for years and years. Also airbrushing works extremely well for larger minis, which many Mythic Battle minis are.

Badger TC910 Compressor

I'll be getting hold of a TC910 Compressor by Badger. It has a gas can, pressure gauge, moisture trap and noise reduction cover.

As for the brush itself, I am not really sure. There are a lot of options for brushes but the store I use for my miniatures in Australia sells some "bundles" with the compressor AND a brush. So I thought I would just get the cheapest bundle.

I also looked at the Iwata Smart Jet series of compressors but felt that the badger was a better option as well as being in stock at local stores I frequent.

Airbrush??

I'm still undecided on the Airebrush at this time. There are simply so many options and I want to make a choice that can speak to the future. I do not want to have to buy a new brush in a year or two, and I also do not want to buy one that is unsuitable for my needs.

I am mainly interested in painting miniatures, and while I feel fine detail is something to look at, the "bundles" at combat company either have the "Badger 20/20 Sotar" which is in no way a beginner brush and some other similar options.

The problem is that the Airbrush has so many uses. I see a positive review and by the end of it find out it is talking about graphic design or painting cars and other forms of art or engineering design that is in no way related to miniature painting.

So I'm a little stuck on this choice.. but the bundles at Combat Company have either the...

Badger 20/20 Sotar

Paasche Talon

TGX VISION AIRBRUSH

RENEGADE KROME

I really do not know.. the thing is the 20/20 seems to have the best reviews, but they all say it is for experienced users, but it is also nearly the same price as the other ones.

Paints

I have always been a big fan of P3 Paints. I love them as they use a liquid pigment rather than a powder.. this means they are extremely easy to mix, thin and paint with. Also they seem to have a LONG shelf life. There is no opening the pot after a year in your basement and it being a massive gluggy mess.

Unfortunately the P3 Paints lack a few coloured options, as they are designed for Privater Press Models (Privater Press Paints, P3).. so they only come in the official colours from the painting guides for the armies for their games.

So I am planning to go with "Vallejo Model Air Paint". These are pre-thinned paints designed to be used in air brushes and I have had great experience with Vallejo normal Game Colour Paints.

So the plan is to have the AIR for the Brush and use my existing P3 paints and some supplemental Vallejo Model Color and inks.

Cost

This all costs MUCH more than I was expecting. I am still planning to go this route, but my idea of buying large paint sets is a no go. Instead I will be buying only the paints I feel I need for a given project. With luck this will not so much lower the cost, but spread it out over months.

Inspiration

Here is a youtuber I have been watching for years being awesome. Obviously this guy is a pro, but even so... check it out and be impressed!

Videos

I'll be chronicling my journey through the Mythic Battles set on youtube by resurrecting my "These Miniatures are Tragic" series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been airbrushing models (from scale plastic to 40K)for nearly 25yrs, there is no such thing as an expert airbrush. They all work the same way. It is more a matter of comfort and preference. While some come with smaller needles than others most have upgrade kits to give you the same needle sizes.

The difference is how one fits your hand versus another and how that trigger feels.

At the end, nothing beats practice, practice and practice. Any of non-chinese knock-offs are plenty it is just a matter of knowing your airbrush, finger and hand-eye control -- did I mention practice?

My setup:

Badger Air-Brush Co. TC910 Aspire Pro Compressor

Paasche VL - Dedicated to primer work
Patriot 105 .5 needle - majority of airbrush work
Patriot 105 .3 needle - washes or blending

Why the three? Because that was part of my journey of finding the airbrush I liked. I started with the Paasche bottom feeded. I like the bottom cup for priming especially since I prime a bunch of miniatures all at the same time.

I went through various Badger and Iwata airbrushes and the Badger 105 for miniatures was what I ended up liking the best. I am very familiar with it and since I keep a second 105 I have a spare for parts if required.

I use .5 for most of my work. I use the 105 with .3 for thinner paint or washes.

I have switched exclusively to Badger Stylizer Primer. I like it a lot.

I will be going through and paint the MB miniatures over the winter.

I had home made Spray Paint booth and my brother gave me a present of a Master Airbrush Brand Lighted Portable Hobby Airbrush Spray Booth. I hate to say it but it is very nice and I should have purchase one a long time ago.

It will be fun, enjoy the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Is a mask needed?

I also plan to pick up a set of COLOUR AIR paints by Vallejo.

The pack comes with
• All 51 Game Air Paints
• 8 Coloured Surface Primers
• Matt, Satin & Gloss Varnish
• Airbrush Thinner
• Chipping Medium
• 85ml Airbrush Cleaner
• Display/Carry Case

turbocooler wrote:
there is no such thing as an expert airbrush. They all work the same way. It is more a matter of comfort and preference. While some come with smaller needles than others most have upgrade kits to give you the same needle sizes.

The 20/20 I like the look of but with out holding it I can not tell. It is apparently great at fine line work.

I'm thinking of getting the RENEGADE it is slightly cheaper... but again, as the initial cost is so high, I feel.. why not just get the "supposed" best ? I duuno.

turbocooler wrote:
Portable Hobby Airbrush Spray Booth. I hate to say it but it is very nice and I should have purchase one a long time ago.

I've seen these things around but they looked kinda unnecessary? Having the fumes and stuff sucked away would be nice, but they look confining. Like you would need to hold the thing to far from your head or w/e to paint comfortably. I have tried filming painting once and found holding the miniature in the correct spot was a real pain.. I would think this would have the same problem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy this for your airbrushing and you will be good without a mask, but it can't hurt.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BMUH8L6/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_s...

I've been using this since I started bumbling through airbruishing, and it is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
sharkeyx wrote:
I've been using this since I started bumbling through airbruishing, and it is fantastic.

do you need to buy extra filters for it? If so where do you get them... also does that one have an exhaust tube you can hang out the window?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I have joined a PAINTING GUILD on BGG.. imaginatively called :

Miniature Painters Guild

I'm going to keep posting in this thread for my guildmates, but it will just link back to that other thread. I would love it if you guys subscribed to that thread and keep me motivated as I enter a new phase in my hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.