Mega Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: How many hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
masa hoso
msg tools
How long does it take to play MegaCiv?
Number of player is 5 to 8.

I'll take small event for playing MegaCiv in Kyoto,JAPAN first time.
For most players, this is firsy play MegaCIv.
We can use a room for play from 9AM to 9PM (12hours).
1 hour for game setup and rule explanation.
So, game begin at 10AM.
I plan at 8PM, current turn will be last turn.
A turn spends less than 1 hour, can 8PM change 8:30PM?
(cleaning up room for half hour)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MegaCiv should take about an hour per player. If you have 8 players starting at 10 AM, you could finish by 6 PM. However, if everyone is playing the game for the first time it will take longer.

The first turns of the game can go very quickly, but the as the game goes on each turn takes longer. Players have more units to move around, there are more options for trading, and the math to purchase a new advancement gets much more complicated. The last few turns can last more than an hour if you don't keep things moving.

Since you have a time limit, you should use a timer for the trading sessions. Set an alarm for 10 minutes, and when the alarm goes off all negotiating must stop. Players who are ready to exchange cards can complete their deal, but anyone else is done. If 10 minutes becomes too short a time in later turns, you can extend it to 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One hour per experienced player and one and a half per beginner sounds about right. A ten minute trade timer should give ample opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Harengel
Germany
Greven
Münsterland
flag msg tools
this geek loves strategic games
badge
this is an old photography of the young man
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega Civilization needs one day!

Meet in the morning, take your breakfast together and agree about the latest possible finish time of your game. This might be midnight ore somewhat earlier (or even later). You will need a pause for diner, may be some short breaks for smokers. The late game rounds will dure about one hour. If there is less than one our left after you finished a game round you make the cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
masa hoso
msg tools
Thanks for your answers.
It is possible to finish the game in one day (from 10:00 to 20:30/except lunch beak), I understand.
I'll use "10 minutes for trade" rule.

I make base plan to play:
9:00 room open/set up game
9:30 explain rules
10:00 game begin
about 14:00 lunch break (45-60 min.)
19:30 if game is running,current turn is final turn
20:30 game finish time limit

I played MegaCiv last November at 18 players and gamemaster.
(It took 2 days, from 10 to 19 and 10 to 17, 16 hours total)
Aafter playing,I read rulebook and made aids in Japanese
So, I know rule and explain rule to players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Harengel
Germany
Greven
Münsterland
flag msg tools
this geek loves strategic games
badge
this is an old photography of the young man
mbmbmbmbmb
masah wrote:
Thanks for your answers.
It is possible to finish the game in one day (from 10:00 to 20:30/except lunch beak), I understand.
I'll use "10 minutes for trade" rule.

I make base plan to play:
9:00 room open/set up game
9:30 explain rules
10:00 game begin
about 14:00 lunch break (45-60 min.)
19:30 if game is running,current turn is final turn
20:30 game finish time limit

I played MegaCiv last November at 18 players and gamemaster.
(It took 2 days, from 10 to 19 and 10 to 17, 16 hours total)
Aafter playing,I read rulebook and made aids in Japanese
So, I know rule and explain rule to players.

Just some notes (my 10 Cent):

- An half hour for setup is very short. You need some time to prepare the trade cards (their composition depends on the players count, so late cancellations of players can hurt..)
- I prefer to explain the game in the game. In round 1 you explain increase of population and movement, in round 2 you add ships and city building and so on. Makes it easy for new gamers.
- Deadline of 20:30 gives you only a little chance to reach the end of the A.S.T. - but the game experience will still be great!
- 5 minutes for trading is enough, you can vary this in the came.

I wish you a great game experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
masa hoso
msg tools
HHarengel wrote:
- An half hour for setup is very short. You need some time to prepare the trade cards (their composition depends on the players count, so late cancellations of players can hurt..)
- I prefer to explain the game in the game. In round 1 you explain increase of population and movement, in round 2 you add ships and city building and so on. Makes it easy for new gamers.
- Deadline of 20:30 gives you only a little chance to reach the end of the A.S.T. - but the game experience will still be great!
- 5 minutes for trading is enough, you can vary this in the came.

An half hour is not enough to setup. So, I setup the trade cards during first some turns. (I am gamemaster and not play game.)
Explaing the game in the game is good idea, thanks.
In small game,is 5 minutes is enougt for trading? I want to try this variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past we've played with a five minute timer for trading. It helps keep the urgency and reduces the feigned disinterest. Very rarely does someone not get a trade done because of the timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
masah wrote:
How long does it take to play MegaCiv?
Number of player is 5 to 8.

I'll take small event for playing MegaCiv in Kyoto,JAPAN first time.
For most players, this is firsy play MegaCIv.
We can use a room for play from 9AM to 9PM (12hours).
1 hour for game setup and rule explanation.
So, game begin at 10AM.
I plan at 8PM, current turn will be last turn.
A turn spends less than 1 hour, can 8PM change 8:30PM?
(cleaning up room for half hour)

I've done dozens of 5-8 player games of Mega Civilization both during testing and demonstrations.

Generally speaking I'd say this takes 8-10 hours.
However, this is being delayed by the following things:

- Even just one player that takes the full time he needs every time. Everyone knows these type of players. This really adds up playing 15 rounds. If this happens and the group wants to play faster, you can set timers for movement. 10 minutes should do the trick.
- If you don't have a game master that keeps track of everything. A good GM should encourage players to take action.
- If you don't play 'simultaneously'. Yes you are allowed to 'wait for you turn', but experienced players play most actions simultaneously.
- Experienced players though, might take more time than rookies, especially if they're tough players. But as long as all players like that, there's nothing wrong in extending the game (I've seen games of 22 rounds).

Whenever you are short in time, you can do the following:
- Set a time limit for game end. Preferably choose a moment 60-90 minutes before the actual limit, just to announce 'final turn after this one'
- Set a turn limit and use the turn marker. Once the marker reaches space X, the game ends, regardless of where player's markers are.

good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've run 8 games at our FLGS now.
Each was between 11 and 18 players.

I'd set-up the game the night before... easily a one hour task, for 18 players - minimum.
We'd arrive at 9 a.m. (opening for the store...), and be playing by 9:3- a.m..

The venue was open from 9 to 9, so we'd call last turn at 8 p.m.
The first few games, we wouldn't finish out the AST, but as we became more familiar with the rules (and began setting a 6 minute timer for the trade phase), we got to the point where we'd finish 18 turns before 8:30 p.m.

Of course, if need be - I could alwa6ys leave the mess overnight and come in the following morning at opening to clear up. Fortunately, I'm a very organized gamer and every MegaCiv component has it's assigned space in the organizers, and usually, all 187 players jumped in and tear-down/clean-up was only a 20 to 30 minute proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
masa hoso
msg tools
Flodehaan wrote:
you can set timers for movement. 10 minutes should do the trick.

It is a good idea. I set timers for acquisition of Adcance also.

Flodehaan wrote:
A good GM should encourage players to take action.

I'll do it.

Flodehaan wrote:
- Set a time limit for game end. Preferably choose a moment 60-90 minutes before the actual limit, just to announce 'final turn after this one'

I'll take this rule. Probably 90 minites.

Thanks for advicing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the first time tonight. 12 players.

We had 12 min for trading. Exept last turn it was 15 min.

Whole game took 11 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zak armstrong
United Kingdom
St Albans
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
Rough guide:

Per Experienced, generally-peaceful player: 40m
Per Experienced, slow/methodical, peaceful player: 1h
Per Experienced, aggressive/belligerent player: 1h 30

Per New, generally peaceful player: 1h - 1h 30
Per New, aggressive/Belligerent player: 2h - 3h

For larger player counts, adjust total downwards.

If the game-map as a whole is generally peaceful, adjust total downwards.
If the game-map as a whole is generally at-war most of the time, adjust total upwards. This is independent of the individual aggressiveness of the players.

If you have belligerent players spread out and surrounded by peaceful players, it will not extend game time a huge amount as they will mostly be taking their moves independently/simultaneously. If you have 3/4/5 belligerent players all on each others borders, it will take a significant toll on game time as they all wait for each others moves and engage in extended diplomacy. It will take an especially large toll if they cause enough havoc to extend the game another 2-3 turns.

I played a game the other day. 2 experienced players, 3 new players. Despite our advice to the contrary, they treated it like a war game. It was brutal and divisive and movement took forever. We ended the game a good 3 turns before the finish, after **12 hours** of play time. For 5 people.

I've done the same game in 6 hours before.

---------------------------

Allow half an hour to set up and start playing, and half an hour to pack away/tidy up.

---------------------------

For most games with all-experienced players, 1h/player is a reasonable time budget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
masa hoso
msg tools
thanks for many reply.

We'll play MegaCiv next weekend, 24,Feb at Kyoto.
Players are 11 person now and may increase from now.
(I don't play game,only do gamemaster.)

We cannot finish the game only 9~10 hours.
I'll use time-limit rule. current turn is final turn at 7:30 pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masah wrote:
final turn at 7:30 pm.

7:30 pm sounds early.

We played 11 player a while ago. We began 10 am with set up. Had 1 hour food break between 2 and 3 pm and I think we began final round somewhere between 9 and 10 pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
masah wrote:
final turn at 7:30 pm.

7:30 pm sounds early.

We played 11 player a while ago. We began 10 am with set up. Had 1 hour food break between 2 and 3 pm and I think we began final round somewhere between 9 and 10 pm.

Waaaay back in the original post for this thread, he mentioned that the group only has the room until 9 PM. Starting the final turn at 7:30 is a good idea - with a little luck, they'll be done by 8:30 and have time to clean up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
masa hoso
msg tools
From 9:30,I explain rules and began play at 10:00 by 11 players and me (as a gamemaster).
We took a half hour for first 4 turns.
end of movement at turn 7 was 11:45.
Trade phase of turn 10 began at 14:40,
trade phase of turn 11 began at 15:29,
trade phase of turn 12 began at 16:15,
trade phase of turn 13 began at 17:12,
trade phase of turn 14 began at 17:57,
trade phase of turn 15 began at 18:53. https://twitter.com/masah_pm/status/967336602048462848

At 18:53, I decided to end this game at turn 15.
Calculation of score ends 19:27.

Final standings is in following tweet.
https://twitter.com/masah_pm/status/967345262518616064

from left,文明(Civilozation),都市(Cities),文明進歩(Civilization Advanced),AST, and 合計(Total).
This VP is before final AST Alteration phase,
and '+' means additional 5 VP at final AST Alteration phase.
Maximam AST VP was 65,so it was late bronze age.

We need more 3 or 4 turn to finish the game.

Next event is two-days-event and I'm going to do over weekend this May.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.