Alchemists» Forums » Rules

Subject: I don't understand hedging... help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Bayuk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone provide an example of a correct and an incorrect hedge?

Rules state that each ingredient has one alchemical and each has a red, green and blue aspect. Each aspect is positive or negative.

When you hedge, you hedge against a color. But when I look at the 8 alchemicals, what are the colors of the alchemical? Each one has 3 colors. Each proposed solution has 3 colors. What exactly are you matching or checking against?

I have not been able to explain hedging and it's kinda killing it for my play group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you hedge you are saying that you have the signs of 2 out of the 3 colours correct. The third one (the one you are hedging against) you don't know.

So if Toad is R+, G+, B+ and you publish a theory that it is R-, G+, B+ and you hedge red, then if it is debunked, you won't lose points. But if you had hedged blue or green, you would lose points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bayuk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was making it way too hard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bayuk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just to be sure, you ignore the size of the circle when checking this, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, size does not matter.

It’s also worth mentioning that you could be wrong on more than one aspect but still avoid losses with a smart hedge.

If toad is all three pluses and I publish a green hedge with a green minus and a blue minus, I’m wrong on two and it wouldn’t be a successful hedge at game end. But if someone debunks by proving green plus, I would not lose points on my hedge (the blue is wrong, but at the time of debunk this isn’t proven!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This concept took me a while to grasp too just learning from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way of looking at it is that hedging against red is saying that the green and blue signs of your theory are correct, and red could be either. To cost you points, you'd have to be proven wrong about green, blue or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.