Popular Tags: [View All]
D. Silberman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's a scenario that has us confused:

At the beginning of the round, I have Elder Sign (4) and my opponent has Necronomicon (8). I go first and draw Deep Ones (1). I play Deep Ones, call 8 and my opponent discards her Necronomicon and is knocked out of the round. Do I get a Sane or Insane victory token for this? In other words, do I resolve the discard step and go insane before winning, or does the round end immediately, without me discarding and going insane?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Zelide wrote:

At the beginning of the round, I have Elder Sign (4) and my opponent has Necronomicon (8). I go first and draw Deep Ones (1). I play Deep Ones, call 8 and my opponent discards her Necronomicon and is knocked out of the round. Do I get a Sane or Insane victory token for this? In other words, do I resolve the discard step and go insane before winning, or does the round end immediately, without me discarding and going insane?

Technically there is no playing of card (though that is what common sense tells us to refer to it). In order to "play" a card, you must first discard it. So yes, by discarding ("playing") Deep Ones, you would go insane before the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Zelide wrote:

Technically there is no playing of card (though that is what common sense tells us to refer to it). In order to "play" a card, you must first discard it. So yes, by discarding ("playing") Deep Ones, you would go insane before the end of the round.

From rulebook, Taking a Turn:

Quote:
Then, choose one of the two cards now in your hand and discard it face
up in front of you (it will be considered in your discard pile after its effects have been applied.)

and from rulebook, End of a round.

Quote:
A round ends if the deck is empty at the end of a player’s turn.
All players still in the round reveal their hands. If multiple players have the same number in their hand, they are knocked out of the round. The player with the highest number in their hand wins the round.
A round also ends if all players but one have been knocked out of the
round, in which case the remaining player wins.
After the end of the round, check the winner’s state of mind. A player is Insane if an Insanity card ever is in their discard pile, otherwise they are Sane.

(my bolds)

We played for the first time this week, and took the view that the round winner was sane, because there is a step between discarding, and the card being in your discard pile, which is the point at which you go insane.

But now on review, I think we were wrong because round end does not occur until the end of a players turn, not at the point when the knock-out occurred.

Even if our decision was wrong, it was also right as it allowed the game to be finished [opinion].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.