11 Posts

Aeon's End: War Eternal» Forums » General

Subject: Difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
mbmbmbmbmb

Does anyone know what the target difficulty is for this game? For example are players supposed to win 20% of the time? 30%? 40%?

Just played my first game with 4 against Umbra Titan and it seemed so stacked against the players that I have to wonder if I got a rule wrong. (I did get one wrong for most of the game, but it actually was in favor of the players.) All four mages were exhausted by the chain reaction of multiple Unleashes that occurred when the first mage went down, so I went from four mages to zero instantly. Gravehold had single digits left but that was only because I had healed it three or four times for 4 each, otherwise I would have lost that way first. The Nemesis still had almost 50 health, was down to 4 Nemesis tokens and I hadn't even hit Tier 3 when everyone died.

I know some co-op games are calibrated so the players lose most of the time, wondering if that is the case here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Matz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds about right for a first play. This game is designed to punish mistakes and bad strategy and you won't be successful until you learn how the market elements and player skills work with each other. This means you'll need to play many times, honing your skills and strategy as you get closer and closer to your goals. It's so great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play against the Umbra Titan but all 3 games we've played we've won with absolutely no wiggle room. Every time we were basically one Nemesis turn away from defeat. It's fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a known ratio.
It depends so much on player number and mosly skill...

If you don't know, 4 players is the second hardest player number (hardest being 1 character. IMO.)

It's normal to be destroyed on your very first game. There is a lot to wrap your head around here.
You'll treat this a normal deckbuilder and won't have an idea of what the pace of the game, and the Nemesis, is, and where priorities lie.

Even experienced, there are games where the Nemesis hasn't lost a single HP when I lose whistle

I'd say with Aeon's End I was a 65% wins. With War Eternal I must be 30% laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can expect to lose pretty often, especially if you're new to the game and for each new nemesis.

You could also scan through the forums for commonly missed rules. Sometimes players will resolve powers every time a counter is removed instead of just when the last one is removed and that makes the game much much harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
There's a pretty wide range of difficulty. 2P against normal Rageborne with handpicked markets should be pretty manageable for anyone with experienced players having a near-100% winrate, but 4P against Extinction Wraithmonger with random markets will probably be a massacre (but a skilled and coordinated enough group can still probably win more often than not with the alternate 4P turn order cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tang
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't forget that the game has "easier difficulty" and "increased difficulty" modes for when the game feels too hard and you want to get a hang of things.

Also, difficulty is really heavily character dependent and market dependent. Some characters are really good against certain bosses. For example, against Crooked Mask, characters who are strong in the late game, and characters with healing are really good. Certain characters have cards that combo really well with them (i.e. Kindle and Garu, Maza and Crystallize, Kadir and Chaos Arc), and having those combinations can mean night or day. If you want an easier game, try coming up with a strategy and don't randomize the market and don't choose characters at random. There are rules, but honestly you can do whatever you want for HOW to do setup.

You can get some good tips by looking through the Strategy boards of this game and Aeon's End (the original) since mechanics are the same. This is a good thread from the original AE with good tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew WE was supposed to be so hard before I decided to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Polarity
msg tools
qxc0 wrote:
You can expect to lose pretty often, especially if you're new to the game and for each new nemesis.

You could also scan through the forums for commonly missed rules. Sometimes players will resolve powers every time a counter is removed instead of just when the last one is removed and that makes the game much much harder.

This was the exact issue that my 4 player group encountered: I blame Rahdo for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
I wish I knew WE was supposed to be so hard before I decided to buy it.

I will probably play all the "Double Unleash" effects as "Single Unleash" until I start winning 90% of the time.

Seems kind of odd the starter game has 4 mages, which from the sound of it, is the hardest number of mages to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuft wrote:
Seems kind of odd the starter game has 4 mages, which from the sound of it, is the hardest number of mages to play.

It's a 1-4 player game - somehow, I doubt someone would enjoy having 3 friends interested in a game, then asking for them to sit out because the initial game setup didn't support it.

The default setup is actually set to be reasonable at 4 players - it would just end up being easier than normal for smaller groups because of the size of the deck, as I recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.