Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I'm dorking on the obvious, but I'm confused about the interaction between the two Move phases and the Bonus command.

Specifically:

Do ALL wings under Move enjoy the benefit of the 2nd Move phase (5.6) irregardless of whether or not there is also a Bonus command present, OR is that 2nd Move phase in fact the "second Move phase immediately after the first" that the Move + Bonus combination (4.3) confers?

And: if ALL wings under Move DO get a 2nd Move phase (effectively meaning a unit could move 6 hexes in that player turn) does the Bonus command then add still ANOTHER Move phase (and does that Move phase itself have an inherent 2nd Move phase?), potentially allowing those units to travel another 3 or even 6 hexes above and beyond the 6 hexes they've already traveled in their "normal" 1st and 2nd Move?

I suspect not, but I've read the rules sections repeatedly and it seems at best ambiguous.

Right now I'm playing that ONLY units with the Bonus marker get ANY 2nd Move phase AT ALL, meaning most units will move only 3 hexes per turn, or at most 6 (with Bonus). Thanks--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Like in the other thread, I think the confusion is stemming from having missed the limitation of issuing Commands to only one Wing on a given turn.

But this is a situation that can come up in other games/scenarios in the series, so let me give you an answer. :-) For example, in next year's Great Heathen Army, the Marden scenario gives the Saxon Player six Command Markers - two each of Move/Shield Wall and Combat/Withdraw, and one each of Horse/Fire and the Bonus Marker. He is able to issue up to two Commands each to two Wings.

Each Wing is going to receive its own, separate Command Markers.

Let's say he gives his Red Wing a Shield Wall and a Combat, and he gives his Pink Wing a Move and a Withdraw. In that case, his turn would involve the following phases:

Withdraw (Pink Wing only)
Shield Wall (Red Wing only)
Move (Pink Wing only)
Combat (Red Wing only)

If, on the other hand, he were to issue the Red Wing a Move and a Combat, and the Pink Wing a Move and a Withdraw, his turn would look like this:

Withdraw (Pink Wing only)
Move (Red Wing and Pink Wing)
Combat (Red Wing only)

So, finally, let's add the Bonus marker into the mix - giving the Red Wing a Bonus and a Move, and the Pink Wing a Move and a Combat:

First Move Phase (Pink Wing and Red Wing)
Second Move Phase (Red Wing only - it's the only wing to be assigned the Bonus Marker)
Combat (Pink Wing only)

I hope that clears up the confusion. Thanks for the question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thorough answer, Tom. Yes, that is now quite clear. In the terms of my original question, "ONLY units with the Bonus marker get any 2nd Move phase AT ALL."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.