BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Suggestions of games for newer players. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I ask looking for some suggestion of games to start a collection. One big plus would be games that play well for 2 players but also accommodate more. Right now my wife and I play together but want to gather friends to start playing.

Right Now our collection is:
7 wonders Duel
Oh my Goods
Lanterns
Pompeii
Settlers of Catan
Ticket to Ride
Pandemic
Biblios

Thank you for any suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion, hands down. Base set is good, but with multiple expansions the game really starts to shine. Great for 2-4.

Tsuro of the Seas is a good light game, too. Has player elimination (some people don't like that), but can accommodate up to 8 and in my experience is usually over in 20 minutes or less.

If you're looking for something with a lot more depth I can offer other suggestions. These are both pretty easy to get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a nice start you've made on your collection! All great games and a nice variety. My favorite on your list is The Downfall of Pompeii.

Here are some more suggestions.

2 players only:
Patchwork
Rivals for Catan
Battle Line
Targi
Jambo

2 or more players, but play well with just 2:
Rise of Augustus
Century: Spice Road
Sagrada
Carcassonne
The Quest for El Dorado
Azul
Guildhall
Isle of Trains
Mystic Vale
Splendor

Don't buy all of these! Go very slowly with your purchases. It takes quite a while before you really know what types of games are most appealing to you. I made mistakes at first, and then the games sit on the shelf and never get played. They start to haunt you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan

Reportedly plays best at two, but honestly I have played it mostly with four and had no issues doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense to the people that have already responded, but I think it makes no sense whatsoever to recommend games without first investigating what games someone likes. It doesn't matter that you're a newer player. Some newer players like games that would be considered "entry level" or "gateway" games. But these are horrible terms that imply that there's a secret order to gaming, and that you can progress to better games somehow. I got into "heavy" games fairly quickly, and I introduce these heavy games to new players regularly, with a lot of success.

So, while the games that people have recommended are good games, there's no way to know if you're going to like them without first investigating what you like about the games you own. And maybe even more important is what you don't like in games. Maybe you like all the games you do own. But you're bound to have played some games you didn't like. What was wrong with these games?

So, what games do you like? What do you not like in games? You've partly covered the number of players, but what's the max number of players you're going to get, and do all of your games need to be able to be played with two? What about two player only games, are those okay? Do you consider yourself a fast learner? Do you like learning (and teaching) rules to games? Do you like confrontation in games? Do you like cooperative games? Do you like storytelling in games? Does it matter to you if a game is beautiful? What's a nice game length for you? Or do you not care about game length? Is there anything else you can tell about your gaming preferences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
WilbertK wrote:
So, what games do you like? What do you not like in games?

The latter is often more important than the former.

Also, do you want more games that are similar to your other games, or games that introduce you different mechanisms (so you can find out better which you like and dislike)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jos horst
Netherlands
groningen
groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a dedicated part of the forum to questions like yours. You'll find a lot of suggestions there https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/8/boardgamegeek/recommendati...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely try games before buying, if at all possible. Or, at the very least, watch play-through videos to see whether a game appeals to you. If you read or watch reviews, don't just buy because someone liked something. Pay attention to what they liked about it, because that may be just the thing you hate. In the same way, things they don't like may be things you do.

That said, here are my suggestions for games to investigate. Each plays 2+, and each scratches a different itch:
Above and Below
Kingdom Builder
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Starving Artists
Unfair
Burgle Bros.

There are several online gaming sites, some free, that will enable you to play games. You can use them to try various games, to find out what you like and what you don't. I use Tabletopia for this purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I forgot to include Dominion and Lord of the Rings LCG in games we own. I am not as new to games as my wife. She has enjoyed much of what we have played. Only game she hates is Dominion but that is because I started playing online and learned a lot. She has really enjoyed Pandemic and Pompeii

Two player only suggestions would be good. The reason I asked play good 2 player and also more is because we currently don't have anyone to play with regular. We have a group around us that meet once a week. We have went a couple times to try out new games but haven't done much yet.

We are not afraid play heavy games. Most times we try to look up a play thorough online and then read the rule book as we watch.

One game I am interested in is Marvel: Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.