Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Oblivion and a little Skyrim, but never been particularly attracted to Fallout, as I often find post-apocalyptic wasteland a bit grim. But, I got this game "free" when I bought my PS4, so thought I'd give it a go.

SESSION 1

Decided to go with the woman, kept the default faces, named her Persephone. I spread the points across the attributes, don't know whether these can change later. Quite a decent opening to the game, and I got out of the vault fine. Graphics and sound are nice. Little direction so I guess I'll wander around. Saving pistol ammo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 2

Luckily found the robot butler and my old house. Then went to the red rocket (found the cave, and a fusion core) and into Concord. Got killed by a mosquito and then in the speakeasy the first time, second time snuck around the side and dealt to all the raiders inside the museum with the 10mm pistol. Couldn't figure out how to use that stupid laser musket.

Dog keeps getting in my way. See this is why I go alone.

Met the minutemen who told me about the suit, and said I need a fusion core from the basement. Not sure yet how much flexibility I have in my decisions. I quite like the current suit (third person view), don't want to be clunking around in some ugly armour. But maybe it's not really optional.

Oh it seems it's useful to have sometimes, but you don't need to wear it all the time. Cool.

I guess I should learn to use VATS but it seems clunky and awkward. Stupid content sensitive stuff means even my favourite menu doesn't open half the time I want it to because the world is filled with green labels. Those terminals are awful too, I don't want to read lots of slow slow text.

2:30 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Subbed!

I hope you enjoy your playthrough Simon.

And for the record (as it sounds like you've already discovered), the power armor is definitely very limited use. A vast, vast majority of the time you won't want (or really be able) to use it. As you progress in the game you will have the resources to use it more, but even then, save it for encounters where you think you will need it.

And like Skyrim, you have quite a bit of flexibility in your decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subbed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 3

Gotta fight this damn deathclaw. Argh VATS is so awkward and the power armour is so slow. Too many buttons!!!

Wow that seriously made me consider quitting the game. Finally got through using the shotgun at the end. Using items is awkward because you have to bring up a d-pad menu then select with X and it's in real time. Because the mini-HUD is on the right it feels weird, because the d-pad is on the left.

I still don't understand VATS. Or maybe it's just not so useful yet. Too many buttons!

How do I get out of this stupid armour... hold X in a suitable place.

Did a sweep of Concord, found a few things, including several safes that I can't open. One in the church and one in the corner store.

Wonder where dog is. (Stuck on the roof of the museum)

4:00 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 4

God, controlling dogmeat is like a full time job! And you can't cancel if you accidentally dismiss him (bug)! Trying to get him to search the Vault 111 for me but getting frustrated. See this is why I don't have a dog. They seem helpful but they're not. Go home! stay home!

Made my way to Diamond City. There is a lot of stuff to encounter along the way, like Skyrim.

Died a lot of times on the way, to the point where I lowered the difficulty to Easy. Might even drop it further. The enemies are fast and hard, whereas my weapons are slow and weak and I am also slow. Maybe I should have done some grinding. I am only Level 5. I read that the start of the game is hard, before you get some good perks. And since I am clueless I probably haven't specced myself very well.

The interface is all over the place. It's not bad as such, but it's very inconsistent, with different parts using different logic. So you have to be careful what button to press.

Loading screens can be very slow. I have seen a lot of them.

6:30 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Same here, never really got into this series.

Maybe your story will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the conceit of a sole survivor from a nuclear bunker, waking up 200 years later. I'm not sure searching for one's child makes as much sense. I chose a female character, so I've got this "avenging angel" thing going too. I guess the same works for a man, but I always feel that women have more emotional range (this is not fair, but it's my gut feeling).

Add to that that the world looks very nice (reminds me of The Last of Us), the music is great, the weather is great, and the stylised 1950 vibe is a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Sorry to hear you are having difficulty controlling Dogmeat. During my (several) playthroughs I did have some issues with my companions, but nothing really significant. The most notable involved "losing" a companion who failed to board an elevator in one of the buildings, which caused that companion to get "stuck" and not be able to follow me - I was able to backtrack to their last known location and find them though, so it worked out in the end.

Anyways, most of the time I still take a companion out with me, and generally speaking I don't find I need to micromanage them that much. I think I use them more as "pack mules" than anything else by giving them stuff to carry when my inventory is getting a bit full. Other than that...I really don't direct them to do anything, just letting them follow me around.

Start of the game is definitely harder, and the player certainly does benefit from specializing to an extent. For example, I did focus heavily on conventional weapons, with single shot rifles (i.e., Rifleman perk with Gun Nut). The catch-22 to that being I was pretty limited to those weapons most of the game.

Great reports, keep 'em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 5

Sad news. A power cut knocked out my PS4, and I had to reinstall the firmware, deleting all my game saves cry So I'll have to start again. I'm not very motivated at present to redo all that beginning stuff, but maybe in a few months...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Oh maaaaaaaaaaaan, that sucks. Really sorry to hear it Simon. That's happened to me a couple times over the years, and it's always heartbreaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.