I hadn’t played ToEE in a while. I primarily play CR, WoA, and LoD solo one hero one shot dungeon crawls which do not utilize the ToEE trap token system.

Regarding ToEE trap token rules as written. I'm going to ask WotC. But would like ToEE (and/or ToA) player's input.

1. An unsuccessful ToEE Disable Trap action ‘Triggers the Trap’. Do the following rules mean that the hero can continue any unspent movement action?

2. A successful ToEE Disable Trap action does not ‘Trigger the Trap’. Does that mean that a hero cannot continue any unspent movement action?

It seems like you’re being rewarded for being unsuccessful yet penalized for being successful.

This is what I mean. The rules are followed by my example of play.

Rule pg 8 Triggering Trap Tokens:

A Trap is a snare or other mechanical device placed in the area to thwart the Heroes. When a Hero moves into a square containing a Trap token, OR when they unsuccessfully attempt to disable the trap (See page 10 Disabling a Trap), Trigger the Trap and flip the token face up to reveal its effect. Monsters do not trigger Traps. [I understand that]

• If the token doesn’t have a damage number, the Hero suffers no effect. Otherwise, the Hero takes the damage indicated. Then remove the token from the board [I understand that]. IF YOUR HERO WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS OR HER MOVE, YOU MAY CONTINUE MOVING THEM NORMALLY. [I used caps for emphasis. I’m not 100% on that]

Page 10 Disabling a Trap:
Traps can be disabled. While a Hero is on a tile with a Trap, as an Action, he or she can attempt to Disable that Trap. Roll the die.
✦ If you roll a 1-10, you failed and triggered the Trap! (See “Triggering Trap Tokens” on page 8). [So I go to page 8 and the bullet point tells me that I can continue a move action if I started it?]
✦ If you roll an 11-20, you succeeded! Remove the Trap from the board. [So I don’t refer to pg 8, therefore can’t read the bullet point, therefore I can’t continue any unspent move action?]

An example would be if a hero laid down a trapped tile on their unexplored edge that ends their hero phase, then another hero moves anywhere onto that tile as part of their move action not their complete movement, then uses their disable trap action from anywhere on that tile (except right on a trap token) but then they unsuccessfully disable the trap, yet they can continue any unspent move action(?) I’d say that doesn’t make sense. You normally can’t interrupt an action, you have to complete an action before performing a separate action.

I’m not following WotC rules thematically nor mechanically ; )

I’m going ask WotC to officially clarify.

Regardless of what WotC says or the reasonable house rules above, how have you been playing the trap token rules as printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to disable a trap is an action and you either move before or after the action, you cannot split your movement. Only if you trigger a trap by running into it, you can continue moving after resolving the trap, if you still have movement points left.

Edit: And I have been playing the rules as printed. The not-splitting-your-movement rule means that unless you are playing Ratshadow, it is very rare to be in a good position to try to disable a trap as you already need to be on the trapped tile to be able to move to the edge after disabling the trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Tibaldi
Italy
San Donato Milanese
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I have not the rule book near to me, so I cannot answer my following question :-)

Is it stated anywhere in the rule book that you must be adjacent to a trap to try to disable it or just on the tile (as written in your post)? In the latter case you can just make the disable action before moving :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto Hietanen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to be adjacent. But typically you don't start your turn on the trapped tile if you are pushing forwards. Of course sometimes it happens, for example if you did not explore last round or if the tile you are on has several exits.

I just played adventure 9 in ToEE and I got to say that this game is a lot more volatile (in a bad way) compared to Tomb of Annihilation. There are lots of "every hero takes 2 damage" encounters and the amount of damage the heroes can dish somehow feels underpowered with their at-wills but overpowered with their dailies. Ranger's Colossua Slayer deals 5 damage to villains due to the his special power before adding a possible extra damage from an advancement token. As he had the potion of haste and a recharge token, the poor earth elemental was pretty much toast after the ranger's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartheus wrote:
You don't need to be adjacent. But typically you don't start your turn on the trapped tile if you are pushing forwards. Of course sometimes it happens, for example if you did not explore last round or if the tile you are on has several exits.

Thanx for the input. yeah from any clear space I guess thematically you throw something at it from across the tile or use the venerable D&D RPG 10 ft pole lol it wouldn't be a common situation but it can happen per my example and yours. regardless the rules aren't worded as well as clearly they could be imho.

Bartheus wrote:
I just played adventure 9 in ToEE and I got to say that this game is a lot more volatile (in a bad way) compared to Tomb of Annihilation. There are lots of "every hero takes 2 damage" encounters and the amount of damage the heroes can dish somehow feels underpowered with their at-wills but overpowered with their dailies. Ranger's Colossua Slayer deals 5 damage to villains due to the his special power before adding a possible extra damage from an advancement token. As he had the potion of haste and a recharge token, the poor earth elemental was pretty much toast after the ranger's turn.

That's good to know. I have to play ToEE a little more. I haven't bought ToA yet.

I was going to mix some ToEE trapped tiles in with CR and/or WoA non-trapped tiles for a dungeon crawl so not every tile was trapped. I would take encounter card traps out of those games to form a Trap deck to simulate ToA's use of a Trap Deck. There would be no traps in the encounter deck. If a ToEE token is triggered/flipped showing damage or not successfully disabled, then I'd roll a d20 and on a 1-10 draw a trap card instead of taking the trap token damage. I'm not sure how the ToA trap deck cards compare to the other games though.

For that matter I'm anxious to use the ToA Spell Deck. I think those decks are good ideas and why I would want to try a makeshift trap deck just to see how it plays before I get ToA and even if I don't get ToA soon just to mix things up outside of the printed adventures. Most often I just have time to use one Hero in a one shot dungeon crawl to see how many tiles I can get thru before losing 2 surges. so no campaigns yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.