Darkest Night (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: So what is going on with this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunther Loki
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I wanted to get the final expansion for the first edition but VPG took all of the original Darkest Night stuff off of the main store awhile back when they were doing this kickstarter stuff. Now years later it doesn't seem that the second edition is for sale and everything seems in limbo.
Admittedly I don't understand the kickstarter stuff much, but I am wondering just what the hell is going on after all these years and when , finally, Darkest Night and the expansions will be available to buy again???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The new edition has been kickstarted and it will be delivered to the backers in the weeks to come.
This second edition doesn't have expansions as the core box includes all the bells & Whistles of the previous version. Consider it as an ultimate version of DN in a box.
Now, when this version will be available to retail through their website is still to be determined.
Will they sell it through their own website (as they did with Dawn of the Zeds) or will they produce a new Kickstarter for the reprint (as they did with Nemo's war)? It is still to be determined.
you will probably not get any answer before all backers get their DN copy and whatever the answer is, it will certainly not be including the availability of the previous version and its expansions. This is a thing from the past.
For that, you will have to rely on the second hand market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The final expansion for first edition (The Small Hours, which contains the 2nd edition gameplay elements) is still going to be sold at some point soon. (Quantities are limited, so if you didn't preorder, your window of opportunity may be small.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
The final expansion for first edition (The Small Hours, which contains the 2nd edition gameplay elements) is still going to be sold at some point soon. (Quantities are limited, so if you didn't preorder, your window of opportunity may be small.)

Jeremy, my impression of the description given by VPG for The Small Hours was thst one had to own ALL the expansions for it to work. Like the OP, I never got the last expansion. Am I wrong about needing to have all the expansions for Small Housrs to work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagopsych wrote:
Antistone wrote:

Jeremy, my impression of the description given by VPG for The Small Hours was thst one had to own ALL the expansions for it to work. Like the OP, I never got the last expansion. Am I wrong about needing to have all the expansions for Small Housrs to work?

When you say the last expansion, do you mean Darkest Night: From Distant Lands or Darkest Night: In Tales of Old? If you mean From Distant Lands, then it should be no worries as that only had four promo characters and a few promo artifacts and events. No new game rules were introduced.

If you mean In Tales of Old, then the upgrade pack will still work with your owned content. You would just remove any of the new Mystery cards.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I meant Tales of Old. Does the second edition use thw finding key mechanic or the mystery mechanic? Or both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagopsych wrote:
Yes, I meant Tales of Old. Does the second edition use thw finding key mechanic or the mystery mechanic? Or both?

Both, like the original Darkest Night you can choose what elements you want to play with or not. They added a cool colour coding wheel at the bottom of the cards so you know which ones to add or remove depending on game elements used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You won't be able to get full use of The Small Hours unless you own everything. For instance, it adds new cards for every hero's power deck, so if you don't have all the heroes, you won't be able to use the new cards for that hero. And the new map cards can't be used unless you have all of the blights.

There is still some stuff you can use even if you only have the base game, such as the sparks. The more expansions you have, the more you can use.

All other expansions for the first edition can be added in any order.

Rook96 wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Both, like the original Darkest Night you can choose what elements you want to play with or not. They added a cool colour coding wheel at the bottom of the cards so you know which ones to add or remove depending on game elements used.

That wheel is actually used for customizing which blights you are playing with (it's only in the map deck).

However, the optional rules include a short list of cards you can remove in order to play without certain game elements (such as quests or mysteries) if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.