Subject: Spartan Meeple Query rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules say the meeple is self-deployable as it acts as a strategos token in addition to a Spartan unit. Can it therefore leave a theatre to redeploy even if the requirements for normal units to exit do not apply? Or is it bound by the same rule as other units?

I have a feeling that it cannot leave, but wanted to check.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're asking if it can teleport, like a type of Redeployment? No. It behaves as a Spartan land unit in all respects except that it carries its one Strategos value with it, to allow it to deploy itself and contribute to force total in both land and naval battles.

Therefore it cannot leave a theatre along a path that is prohibited due to requirement for a base or military value greater than the opponent or that is completely excluded to land units, and could not enter a theatre with a blue Athenian piece during peace.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It behaves according to land-unit movement rules as far as I can tell. It makes a nice asymmetrical counterpart to the Athenian State ship. That is, a unit that is bound to land-movement rules and subject to war/peace conditions, but contributes 1 strat point and 2 land military points vs. a piece that only provides 1 strat point for 1 battle but can appear anywhere without restriction.

Your question does raise another question about Phormio and the 300: When Phormio sends a military expedition to a theater, does he:

1. Send the 300 first under the idea that it is the strongest land unit available as the flowchart commands?

2. Wait until all committed strat tokens have moved non-elite cubes, and then send the 300 as extra oomph?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Phormio always sends the 300 first when sending land units, as the strongest unit (more specifically, I deploy the 300 as the first unit that can actually reach the theatre, with other units deploying first if they are required to overcome enemy force blockade in intervening theatres).

Phormio doesn't have the option of using the 300's innate Strategos to deploy but must use one of the actual Strategos tokens committed by Phormio to do so. It's not in the Phormio rules but is stated in the Example of Play in the Playbook, Page 26, 1st paragraph.

Quote:
I am going to send 5 units, but one of them is going to be the 300 Spartan unit. Technically the 300 is self deploying, but Phormio does not make this distinction.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, I missed that tidbit. Turns out I've been playing it right in spite of not knowing.

And it's important for a player who is used to solo teaching it for multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pnorell wrote:
The rules say the meeple is self-deployable as it acts as a strategos token in addition to a Spartan unit. Can it therefore leave a theatre to redeploy even if the requirements for normal units to exit do not apply? Or is it bound by the same rule as other units?

I have a feeling that it cannot leave, but wanted to check.

Thanks

It is bound by the same rules as all of the other pieces. Merry XMAS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Norell
New Zealand
AUCKLAND
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for your replies. And Season's Greetings to you too. I am currently playing the full campaign using the Phormio Matrix for all factions.

Despite not having a 'live player', it's proving to be a very intriguing game as I can still influence outcomes, particularly when deciding to commit surplus strategos tokens to battles as the non-active faction.

As discussed in other posts, it's something I am trying to formalise as a 'non-active' solitaire player. I work out how many tokens each faction requires to implement its strategy, then, I can choose to commit any surplus tokens to make battles a little more even.

In this way, there a few tokens left over and it will often be to a faction's advantage to commit to a battle rather than hold out for the political bonus at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pnorell wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. And Season's Greetings to you too. I am currently playing the full campaign using the Phormio Matrix for all factions.

Despite not having a 'live player', it's proving to be a very intriguing game as I can still influence outcomes, particularly when deciding to commit surplus strategos tokens to battles as the non-active faction.

As discussed in other posts, it's something I am trying to formalise as a 'non-active' solitaire player. I work out how many tokens each faction requires to implement its strategy, then, I can choose to commit any surplus tokens to make battles a little more even.

In this way, there a few tokens left over and it will often be to a faction's advantage to commit to a battle rather than hold out for the political bonus at the end of the turn.

I mention this in the notes. I found that too many players manipulated it to their advantage, so I made it stricter that the 'bot would focus on at least doing what it intended to do.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.