Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that basic talents can be used in every game. Then choose one other skill talent.

1. Do you always HAVE to choose a skill from the basic talent set? And a skill from one of the other three? The rulebook doesn't say you HAVE to use the basic skill set, it says you can. so, can your two skills from the other tree focuses, and none from the basic talent? For example, use awareness and savvy, or aggression and savvy, etc.

2. The rulebook goes on to say 'Your basic skill from the veteran talent does not count against the skill limit on the level card." What is the veteran talent. I don't see it on the campaign tracking sheet.

3. Can I only select one skill from each of two talent sets? Or do I get to use EVERY talent that I have completely checked off and learned from the two talent sets I select? So, if I have completed three talents in aggression, and all four in savvy, can I use all seven of them in my game? Or do I have to pick one from aggression and one from savvy?

The campaign rules continue to be poorly written, in my opinion. Did you have someone read and try to understand them that had never played the game before? Or, I'm just probably dense, but these campaign rules are vague and confusing.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gribble
United States
Moultrie
Georgia
flag msg tools
I'm new to the game but think I'm reading the rules right:

1. I don't think you HAVE to use it, but you can't gain anything from not using the skill. You have access to the basic focus (group of talents)+ all of the talents you have unlocked on any other focus you choose. You can NOT pick two focuses, say awareness & savvy.

2. The "Veteran" talent is the first talent you can unlock on the Basic focus. It allows you to choose a skill. It's just labeled "Veteran" and says: "start each game with one Basic Skill."

3. You can use all of the talents you've unlocked for whichever focus you choose. These talents operate like skills but are referred to in the rules as talents as opposed to skills which are cards that go under your player card. Again, you can't mix talents from the aggression & savvy focuses, but can only choose one focus in addition to basic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Glazier
United States
Brentwood (not the OJ one)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thank you for the response.

1. I would still like further clarification on #1. So, you're saying you can only use the basic group and one other group. You can't use two groups, neither of them being the basic group? I thought I read in another post that someone was doing that. I would like to know for sure.

2. There is nothing labeled "Veteran" on the Forest of Shadows campaign sheet.

This is such a simple thing, but I am struggling to really understand it, and would like to know absolutely sure how this works. I appreciate your answers, and you're probably right. But, I would still love to hear a definitive answer.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gribble
United States
Moultrie
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hey Jeff, sorry for the slow reply.

1. Yes, that's what I'm saying. Basic + one one other focus. Rules on pg. 24 say: "Basic talents can be used in every game. At the start of each game, though, each hero must pick one other focus." This is definitely the official way to play- of course it's YOUR game so you could play it however you like

2. Sorry you are right, FoS campaign sheet doesn't say Veteran. The original ODD has each talent labeled, but they apparently dropped this in the FoS expansion which makes it confusing. I've been using "Campaign sheet for ODD" app for android instead of the included paper campaign. It's really convenient and sorts out some of the rules for you. So on the FoS sheet it just says: "Start each game with one Basic skill." That's the Veteran talent, but it's not labeled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.