Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity level 2 item with her Smoke Bomb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Fontaine
Canada
flag msg tools
So our Scoundrel player recently bought the Battle Axe making a melee attack hit two tiles. He played this while playing his "Smoke Bomb" card and my group seemed to think that both attacks from the Battle Axe would do double damage, and I was the only one disagreeing with this saying it would be 2 attacks. Could someone side in on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh K
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
Spoiler in the title and text. Please edit title to include "Spoiler" and remove item name (use item number).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
Pharmsuki wrote:
He played this while playing his "Smoke Bomb" card and my group seemed to think that both attacks from the Battle Axe would do double damage, and I was the only one disagreeing with this saying it would be 2 attacks. Could someone side in on this?
Each time you draw from the ability modifier deck is a different attack. This includes multi-target attacks. The attacks using the Battle Axe are separate attacks, so the Smoke Bomb bonus would only apply to the first one. It is still part of one attack action, however, so something like the Power Potion would still apply to both.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
jkglife wrote:
Spoiler in the title and text. Please edit title to include "Spoiler" and remove item name (use item number).

battle axe is a prosperity level 2 item, so hardly a spoiler...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
masterzora wrote:
Pharmsuki wrote:
He played this while playing his "Smoke Bomb" card and my group seemed to think that both attacks from the Battle Axe would do double damage, and I was the only one disagreeing with this saying it would be 2 attacks. Could someone side in on this?
Each time you draw from the ability modifier deck is a different attack. This includes multi-target attacks. The attacks using the Battle Axe are separate attacks, so the Smoke Bomb bonus would only apply to the first one. It is still part of one attack action, however, so something like the Power Potion would still apply to both.


I second this. Otherwise I'd expect something like "for entire attack action" like the advantage with the goggles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Bernth Johannesson
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
Morthai wrote:
jkglife wrote:
Spoiler in the title and text. Please edit title to include "Spoiler" and remove item name (use item number).

battle axe is a prosperity level 1 item, so no spoiler...

Morthai you are normally right, but Battle-Axe is item 018, which is a prosperity 2 item.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
jkglife wrote:
Spoiler in the title and text. Please edit title to include "Spoiler" and remove item name (use item number).



No, this is stupid. I have unlocked the Battle Axe and know I can read and respond to this. I have no idea what item number it is, and the assumption that forum readers should have their item decks with them to find this out is ridiculous.

Spoiler-- there is a Battle Axe? So what-- they don't know the cost or the powers associated with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Smoke bomb with Battle Axe
Johannesson wrote:
Morthai wrote:
jkglife wrote:
Spoiler in the title and text. Please edit title to include "Spoiler" and remove item name (use item number).

battle axe is a prosperity level 1 item, so no spoiler...

Morthai you are normally right, but Battle-Axe is item 018, which is a prosperity 2 item.

sorry missremembered, still hardly a spoiler...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fontaine
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity item with her Smoke Bomb
Sorry about that, I didn't think the name of the item mattered much but I edited it in case it bothers some people. Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity item with her Smoke Bomb
Pharmsuki wrote:
Sorry about that, I didn't think the name of the item mattered much but I edited it in case it bothers some people. Thank you!


It doesn't-- and now anyone not wanting to be spoiled, can't read your thread, b/c it doesn't have the prosperity level in the title.

Battle Axe is not a spoiler. Maybe if it was called a "continuum warp trinket" or a "flying broomstick" we'd have an issue, as they seem to grant a power that is unexpected-- hitting things with a sharp object is expected by anyone that has decided to spend money on this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity item with her Smoke Bomb
SaintHax wrote:
No, this is stupid. I have unlocked the Battle Axe and know I can read and respond to this. I have no idea what item number it is, and the assumption that forum readers should have their item decks with them to find this out is ridiculous.

Spoiler-- there is a Battle Axe? So what-- they don't know the cost or the powers associated with it.
Isaac specifically requested that items that start locked be treated as spoilers.

There's no expectation for you to have your item deck with you. The idea isn't that the item is only ever referred to by the item number. The idea is that the item number is used in the spoiler warnings and then you can use the actual name in your post or in a spoiler tag. This way, people who don't want to be spoiled will easily avoid it. Folks like you who are more okay being spoiled can still click through and look at the name if they don't remember numbers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity item with her Smoke Bomb
masterzora wrote:
SaintHax wrote:
No, this is stupid. I have unlocked the Battle Axe and know I can read and respond to this. I have no idea what item number it is, and the assumption that forum readers should have their item decks with them to find this out is ridiculous.

Spoiler-- there is a Battle Axe? So what-- they don't know the cost or the powers associated with it.

Isaac specifically requested that items that start locked be treated as spoilers.


Yes, and Isaac has received accolades as a game designer, not a forum moderator or community director. So, it's very possible that his overall statement is correct, but the details are misguided.

masterzora wrote:
There's no expectation for you to have your item deck with you. The idea isn't that the item is only ever referred to by the item number. The idea is that the item number is used in the spoiler warnings and then you can use the actual name in your post or in a spoiler tag. This way, people who don't want to be spoiled will easily avoid it. Folks like you who are more okay being spoiled can still click through and look at the name if they don't remember numbers.


That's the thing-- I don't want to be spoiled. I avoid it, but I want to participate in the forums on stuff that I've already unlocked-- which I believe it's safe to assume is the object of game forums (i.e. participation).

That leads us to why the post by Isaac is bad: it says to use the item number, which requires us to have the item deck on us to know. NOW, if you used it in the title, and then used the item name in the post-- but spoiler tagged what the item did so people could not read it, that would be great. However, there are no instructions on that, so it's not being done by anyone. I've been subscribed to this forum for 10 months, and I cant' recall that being done once.

challenge: bigger spoiler question about a "beast tyrant" or "two mini character"?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh K
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity item with her Smoke Bomb
Pharmsuki wrote:
Sorry about that, I didn't think the name of the item mattered much but I edited it in case it bothers some people. Thank you!


Yeah, didn't mean to raise such a kerfuffle. Just knew it was an item I hadn't seen yet (only a couple scenarios in). You (and others here) are right that the name of this item is particularly un-spoilery. Having spoiler in the title should warn folks away that don't want to see the mechanics of the card though. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh K
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scoundrel: Slight spoiler of a prosperity item with her Smoke Bomb
SaintHax wrote:
That leads us to why the post by Isaac is bad: it says to use the item number, which requires us to have the item deck on us to know. NOW, if you used it in the title, and then used the item name in the post-- but spoiler tagged what the item did so people could not read it, that would be great. However, there are no instructions on that, so it's not being done by anyone. I've been subscribed to this forum for 10 months, and I cant' recall that being done once.

Good points. I think that process might work out quite well and make it easier for all to participate at whatever level of detail/spoilers they feel comfortable without risk. But, as you say the detailed implementation of Isaac's request is missing some nuance.

That said, I know I've seen several folks call out items and scenarios by number in their titles, and others have listed prosperity level as an easier-to-remember threshold for locked content. That seems to be working pretty well, or at least well enough to keep me away from those posts until after I've unlocked that content.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fontaine
Canada
flag msg tools
Haha oops! I put prosperity level 2 (which was my intention but I edited quickly!).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.