Subject: Arab-Israeli Conflict Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dakota MaCleod
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Help, I need an opinion. What is the best operational-level Arab-Israeli conflict game out. Got Christmas $$$!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
Crisis: Sinai 1973 is about the Egyptian portion (i.e. Sinai Desert) of the Yom Kippur War, as is SCS Yom Kippur.

SCS Heights of Courage is about the Syrian portion (i.e. Golan Heights) of the Yom Kippur War.

Elusive Victory covers the air war only for the Sinai during the Six Day War and Yom Kippur War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I have not much to go on as to your preferences and experiences. So I will recommend some of my all time favourites. Suez '73 has given me much indepth operational information regarding the Egyptian Theatre of the 1973 conflict. The crunch of this game is deep and mechanically rigorous. Strength points of each unit are multiplied by Firepower, Anti Tank, and Morale factors. This is the deep end of the simulationist games and will reward deep study while being fun to maneuvre your own plans.

Yom Kippur Has much of the grit removed and is a very smooth playing game of the same situation. I recommend the SCS series to gamers of all stripes.

A Somewhat companion game of the SCS series for the Syrian front is Heights of Courage and play reflects the different nature of the war there.

Although I prefer operational sims, most of my experience gaming the many Arab-Israeli Wars has actually been Tactical, beginning with The Arab-Israeli Wars. I could go on further, but I wish to stay within your boundaries. (WINSPMBT the Steel Panthers Modern Era computer game gets a major shout out from me for the tactical side.)

I will enjoy and anticipate recommendations from others as to which game will fill your requests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I remember liking Sinai for a fairly light treatment.

One very interesting choice is the (mostly hypothetical) Flashpoint: Golan.
It was way too reactive and decision intensive for my tastes, but
it sports a system which was designed to highlight the command
cycle in modern (well 80's era) warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
High on the complexity scale, but with many virtues, is Flashpoint: Golan. Comes up on eBay every so often and appears to run about $50 for a punched copy. Of course, it's a twenty-five year old game modeling a war that didn't happen twenty years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I remember liking Sinai for a fairly light treatment.

One very interesting choice is the (mostly hypothetical) Flashpoint: Golan.
It was way too reactive and decision intensive for my tastes, but
it sports a system which was designed to highlight the command
cycle in modern (well 80's era) warfare.

The darndest things come up while one is typing. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Thomas
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Can he lead a normal life? No. He'll be an engineer.
badge
It is well that wargames are so terrible, lest we should grow too fond of them.
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the existing ones are good enough for me to recommend. MMP has an upcoming BCS game on the Yom Kippur War (both fronts) which will have the best order of battle. Unlike Bar-Lev: The 1973 Arab-Israeli War and the SCS games, it uses a consistent scale so the Sinai front is a 3-mapper. See Carl Fung's blog for the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The SCS cousins, Yom Kippur and Heights of Courage would be my choice, hands down. No fuss, no muss, just nice operational goodness in the Middle East. Note that these games, while covering different fronts of the same conflict, are at somewhat different timescales and while they can be played side by side they don't actually link together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious, but were sparked by Trump’s move of the US Embassy to Jerualsaem?

I am. I’ve put Heights of Courage on my next to but list since it seems simple, playable, and not bery interactove which should make for good PBEM. Of course the SCS series is well regarded. That’s just my $0.0167 US
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve played FAB: Golan '73 twice and think it’s a very good game. Tense situation and a see-saw where both players get to attack. And if you learn the game system you can play several other games easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
dakotajonmac wrote:
Help, I need an opinion. What is the best operational-level Arab-Israeli conflict game out. Got Christmas $$$!!!

After getting one of these games listed, if you have a little left over, check this out:

Across Suez covers the Battle of Chinese Farm (1973). It is an old Mark Herman design. I had a lot of fun with it. It has about 4 pages of rules and plays in a couple of hours. You can get it on the BGG Marketplace for $20-25. You might be able to work a trade and pay about $10 shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakota MaCleod
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I looked at Multi Man Publishing and there was nothing mentioned about the upcoming game on this subject. I welcome more suggestions. At one time I owned the original "Bar-Lev", "Arab-Israeli Wars", "Across Suez" and about 200 other games, but lost all, along with my house in 1998 in a flood. Have been replacing some over the years, but getting to the age where I'll never get them all played before I check out. So I'm trying to be very selective about what I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of the FAB system, and Golan is as good or better than any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game in the 73 Arab Israeli War is Bar-Lev: The 1973 Arab-Israeli War.

It has a pretty simple but elegant design using the optional infantry defensive fire rules (air rules are a bit of a mess).

One of the few games that I literally ‘played to death’. The other two games where Rise and Decline of the Third Reich and The Russian Campaign so some pretty good company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakotajonmac wrote:
I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I looked at Multi Man Publishing and there was nothing mentioned about the upcoming game on this subject. I welcome more suggestions. At one time I owned the original "Bar-Lev", "Arab-Israeli Wars", "Across Suez" and about 200 other games, but lost all, along with my house in 1998 in a flood. Have been replacing some over the years, but getting to the age where I'll never get them all played before I check out. So I'm trying to be very selective about what I buy.

My Yom Kippur War game is not officially in the MMP game page or queue yet. The game design is completed and submitted to Dean Essig but is waiting behind other projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinboy24 wrote:
My Yom Kippur War game is not officially in the MMP game page or queue yet. The game design is completed and submitted to Dean Essig but is waiting behind other projects.

Wait, you're telling me we missed out on Yom Kippur for OCS?! Nooooooooooo! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Churgin
Israel
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
SeriousCat wrote:
calvinboy24 wrote:

Wait, you're telling me we missed out on Yom Kippur for OCS?! Nooooooooooo! cry

I think Carl's game is BCS not OCS and it hasn't gotten to the preorder stage yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
OCS Yom Kippur would take six turns; not the best scale. BCS is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Michel
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
I've played the two SCS, ATO's No Middle Ground and FAB: Golan. I love the last one best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
OCS Yom Kippur would take six turns; not the best scale. BCS is better.

Precisely. There's more oodles of detail that come out at Battalion scale than any bastardization of the OCS scale to make Yom Kippur fit.

I mean, if Golan Front can be done at 1mi/scale in several games, why can't the Sinai Front? Think of it as a step up of Suez '73 only covering the entire war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dakota MaCleod
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, I look forward to it being published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.