Charterstone» Forums » General

Subject: Would this be good for those who like HEAVY worker placements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rogan
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
A common complaint I see from people who aren't too fond of the game is that it's too easy or too narrow. Not asking whether or not that is true but would someone who enjoys heavier games like Terra Mystica and the like enjoy this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The brainpower I use when playing Terra Mystica is higher than when I play Charterstone. The complexity of Charterstone comes from the sheer number of options you'll have once you have 42 buildings (action spaces) on the board--it doesn't take long for the board to fill up. In that way, "narrow" isn't a word I'd use to describe the game at all. I'm biased, but I would say there are lots of interesting decisions in Charterstone without wearing out your brain too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Francoeur
Canada
flag msg tools
I would say yes, the game does feel fast competitively, you're rushing around to do just a few things before the end ramps in. But it's a great experience to play, you'll definitely get you're time/money's worth. Again, it's the experience more so than a strong strategic worker placement. The new content that is revealed makes up for the simpler game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rogan
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I suppose that answers it. I'm someone who(for whatever reason) loves to get bogged down by decisions whether that be number of choices to make or complicated decisions that set up later turns. I guess efficiency engine building/complicated worker games if I had to call it something.

However, while this one does look a bit more simple than I'd like, I think I'll pick it up anyway to maybe have something lighter to play with folks who aren't like me. I also love the simplistic aesthetic. I think people are tired of me pushing games like Terra Mystica every time we play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dagmar
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
badge
Goedemorgen! Guten Morgen! Bonjour! Good Morning! Buenes D├Čas! God Morgon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my second game of Charterstone with two players. It really is on the light side of workerplacers. And it is quite short so you have to gather the points as fast as you can. I am curious where the game will go. The first two games could easily have been played by a 10 year old. So if you are into heavy stuff, this really might be to light for your taste. And remember that it is a legacy game, so it performs the best if you play the campaign with the same group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David da Silva
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
Hello there :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing this game with my Heavy Euro 4-player group (we are playing Vital Lacerda Games, Great Western Trail etc.).

We all are enjoying Charterstone (we finished game 6). One or two players weren't sure after game 1 if they will like it or not but after each game the addiction grow and now everybody is eager and want to play the next game immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
sjonnie wrote:
I just played my second game of Charterstone with two players. It really is on the light side of workerplacers. And it is quite short so you have to gather the points as fast as you can. I am curious where the game will go. The first two games could easily have been played by a 10 year old. So if you are into heavy stuff, this really might be to light for your taste. And remember that it is a legacy game, so it performs the best if you play the campaign with the same group.

It's neither fair nor wise to comment on the complexity of Charterstone after only two games. The rulebook doesn't start with more empty spaces than filled for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Charterstone starts off light but I would say it goes to middle weight by game 4 or so.

Personally what I like about it is I can play in about an hour and not have a headache at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is one of my favorite games but it's not really a worker placement game. It's more of a area control game, which Charterstone is not (at least, not so far as I've seen). I wouldn't compare them.

The way Charterstone starts, your choices are limited in game one and I admit, several turns in, it wasn't very interesting. Then we started building and unlocking crates and the game took off for us.

I wonder if the people who complain about Charterstone being too simple might be basing on the first game, only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McMahon
Australia
Goulburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, how would I compare Charterstone and Terra Mystica?

I love both of them, and would happily play either any time.

I also feel Terra Mystica requires more brain power. It is more limited on any given turn in what you can do, and when you can do it, and is a bit less forgiving of poor play than Charterstone.

Charterstone has many, many options per move once the game gets past a few sessions, but turns are pretty quick and you will often find 2 or 3 moves seem equally optimal (and probably 10 others you haven't thought of also are).

It is probably fairer to compare the complexity/challenge to other Worker Placement games. Charterstone has the greatest variability, game to game, in complexity (starting simpler and working up) and more randomness than most worker placement games I have played, but also has many more options per move than most other worker placement games. But you also don't have to think ahead carefully (as in, precisely, not as in you shouldn't have long term strategies) as much as in, say Caverna.

Crudely, if I had to "rank" some worker placement games in complexity/ challenge that I have played, starting with the simplest, I would go:

Lords of Waterdeep
Charterstone
Anachrony
Caverna

But I love all of those games and they all provide "sufficient" challenge to me.

To actually answer the OP, I think the campaign element, which introduces very long term strategies, and meta strategies between sessions, and the tinkering with engines that need to last but adapt over many games, should keep most players who enjoy deep strategic challenges very satisfied. Others have disagreed with me on this though, so ask around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.