7 Posts

Mysterium» Forums » General

Subject: Counterfeit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob stewart
msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife got me Mysterium for christmas. I opened it tonight and i saw the punchout boards were off center. I looked on here, and found a thread about poor quality, and I think this may be a fake. There are a few other questionable signs as well.

I own dixit and I wanted to compair the card finish, and they are different. For someone who owns both games, since they are both published by Asmodee,can you tell me if they should be the same finish or different finishes?

I feel this may be the easiest way to tell.

Thank you

Edit: Is there any way to tell if its fake? The quality is the poorest ive ever seen from a game and has me worried, and the post from a few months ago where possible counterfeits came up does not help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheep sheep
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have them both, the Mysterium cards do not feel the same as the Dixit cards, they're a little flimsier and cheaper compared to the Dixit cards. I got mine from Walmart online late 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a copy today as a gift. Quality of my copy is very good. I did not ask where it had been ordered from, but my guess would be Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough question to answer because we don't know where you live (the OP). The game started in Europe, and has at least 3 distributors.

I'm in America, so I have the Asmodee edition. Looking at this one, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about in terms of quality.

All the components in my game are fine & perfectly serviceable. The art on all the cards is quite good & attractive. The only possibly quality knock that could be made is that the card stock is not heavy at all -- the cards are very thin. This doesn't effect gameplay at all -- this isn't your standard card game, and the decks very rarely need any shuffling.

I've never heard of the existence of counterfeits of games. Is this a thing? If it is an exact copy, does it matter? Or are you suggesting you have a copy whose components are not only inferior but incorrect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob stewart
msg tools
mbmbmb
Im from america and have the Asmodee version. The punchboards are way off center. The clock hand is so off center most of it is white, the crow heads and feet are cut off, etc. The plastic orbs have huge air bubbles inside them, and from the thread i refer to from a few months ago the cards should not be glossy but mine are.

Also counterfeit games are very much a thing.Its easy for chinese factories to print their own versions to sell as real ones aince thwy have all the tools to do it since they make them anyhow for the real company. Also why would it not matter? Designers and distributers would get no money from my purchase if its not truely from them, and it would be supporting something illegal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my blase "does it matter" question -- where I was just thinking about playing the game, and not the impact on the industry as a whole -- I'll try to make up for it by posting Asmodee talking about the surprisingly growing problem of counterfeit games:

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39296/icv2-interview-asm...

Turns out this is not only a thing, but becoming more of a thing. Dang.
You have been warned. If you buy a game at a low price, and the component quality is poor, you may have bought a fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting read, thank you for posting the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.