Hide
9 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Any news on the app? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I used an app called 'KD charsheet', I think. It had a few issues, but was the best thing for managing character and settlement sheets.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated to 1.5 and was just wondering if anyone knew what's the progress on it.

In the meantime, is anyone using a KD app to manage everything? Preferably something iPad friendly.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André
Denmark
flag msg tools
The Watcher is currently in beta.

http://thewatcher.io

All functionality hasn't been activated yet but works fine for survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
UniqueNameIdentifier wrote:
The Watcher is currently in beta.

http://thewatcher.io

All functionality hasn't been activated yet but works fine for survivors.

Related, kdm-manager.com is fully featured and uses the same backend as The Watcher (changes made in one show up in the other). It's just slow compared to The Watcher which is why they're making a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taboobat wrote:

Related, kdm-manager.com is fully featured and uses the same backend as The Watcher (changes made in one show up in the other). It's just slow compared to The Watcher which is why they're making a new one.

Assuming the backend isn't the bottleneck, why wouldn't the new site end up just as slow once it's actually being used? I'm skeptical, guess we'll see.

I think if you want performance, you have to eliminate the network traffic involved. Unfortunately I don't know Python or these types of apps, so I got nowhere trying to stand up a version locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
Taboobat wrote:

Assuming the backend isn't the bottleneck, why wouldn't the new site end up just as slow once it's actually being used? I'm skeptical, guess we'll see.

I think if you want performance, you have to eliminate the network traffic involved. Unfortunately I don't know Python or these types of apps, so I got nowhere trying to stand up a version locally.

The new site could make use of asynchronous calls, lazy loading, better caching, or just utilise the API better. Maybe the old frontend was doing unnecessary backend calls. Or a new navigation in the frontend would make some backend calls no longer needed (I have seen this done multiple times in SPAs where you would have search result pages or lists and detail pages). So I am not skeptical at all.

I am a strong believer that the time of blaming network traffic as an evil that is hurting performance has passed. You just have to design for it and utilise the tools a modern web development stack offers. Assuming the backend is not the bottleneck, the actual amount of data needed to fill a campaign manager (once loaded) can probably be easily managed with a mobile connection with EDGE speed, and 3G or LTE is not even needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyos wrote:

I am a strong believer that the time of blaming network traffic as an evil that is hurting performance has passed. You just have to design for it and utilise the tools a modern web development stack offers. Assuming the backend is not the bottleneck, the actual amount of data needed to fill a campaign manager (once loaded) can probably be easily managed with a mobile connection with EDGE speed, and 3G or LTE is not even needed.

The distributed computing fallacy remains as true as always, and designing around it is brutally difficult if you have to worry about security, which is why these modern stacks are a security joke. But in this case that’s not a major concern, so I would agree that it’s possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
More Mellotron wrote:
Taboobat wrote:

Try them both out side by side. Kdm-manager is incredibly slow but they're both using the same API right now (at least for survivor changes) and the watcher is about 10x faster. I have no idea what technology is powering kdm-manager but something's deeply wrong with it. There's a reason they're rewriting it instead of just tuning the performance.

I've seen a post by one of the devs saying that their API response time is generally under a couple seconds with some of the worst ones still being under 5 seconds. Not that bad when it's all done asynchronously and you can keep doing what you do while it figures its stuff out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
5 seconds without a real load is actually real bad. I assume you are talking of the entire round trip time and not just the server time, because in that case we are looking at roughly double that time.

Anyway, a joined open source effort is a great thing, so cheers to our intrepid developers and we will see if we can use what is posted. I am always supportive of good programmers that spend their own time to improve the conditions of other people - actually, I envy them quite a bit (it is envy of the good-ish kind ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raj M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've used Kdm manager for a long while now, how can I create a beta account for the watcher? I dont see any option in that link you sent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.