Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The K9 add on rules really seem weak, kind of like the add on it it. Anyone come up with a varient worthy of the sweet K9 mini?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically weak, perhaps, but I have to tell you that the ability to re-roll any 1 die, regardless of color is not trivial: He saved my butt in the last Dilemma….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Thematically weak, perhaps, but I have to tell you that the ability to re-roll any 1 die, regardless of color is not trivial: He saved my butt in the last Dilemma….

I agree, his help is no small gesture. I guess I was just referring to the way he is really just a transfer card in miniature form & there is already the K9 Timey-Wimey card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
zefquaavius wrote:

I agree, his help is no small gesture. I guess I was just referring to the way he is really just a transfer card in miniature form & there is already the K9 Timey-Wimey card.

Just spitballing here, but here’s a thought!

K-9 has a tendency to hang around a while, then make some heroic sacrifice to save the day...only to then show up again a while later in some new and improved form. So if you’re looking for some thematic oomph, you might try this...

-The earliest regeneration of The Doctor gets K-9 first

-Sacrifice K-9 at any time to set the facing of a colored die to whatever you want (not a black die)

-Pass K-9 to the next youngest Doctor

-Same rules apply until everyone has had K-9 once...then K-9 is out of the game entirely

This trades an effect that is usable every single turn to a more powerful effect that is only good a few times per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree, Brian, about having a mini that… does nothing. It would be nice if location were important.

Example: If you use K-9, he stays there, but you keep the card, until a different Doctor (without his rules card) "re-discovers" him. That Doctor may then move K-9 with the Doctor mini, taking the rules card. As with the other minis, having him on a Location keeps that location in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zefquaavius wrote:
Yeah, I agree, Brian, about having a mini that… does nothing. It would be nice if location were important.

Example: If you use K-9, he stays there, but you keep the card, until a different Doctor (without his rules card) "re-discovers" him. That Doctor may then move K-9 with the Doctor mini, taking the rules card. As with the other minis, having him on a Location keeps that location in play.
The one problem I see with that is that it could easily create situations where K9 is sitting on a dead (that is, depleted of both dilemmas) location, keeping it in play, and a Doctor would have to waste his (or her, once they release the eventual Jodie Whitaker expansion) turn to pick him up. (Actually I don't think the rules even allow for that - the turn structure is built around the assumption that every Doctor will face an adventure every turn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gas wrote:
The one problem I see with that is that it could easily create situations where K9 is sitting on a dead (that is, depleted of both dilemmas) location, keeping it in play, and a Doctor would have to waste his (or her, once they release the eventual Jodie Whitaker expansion) turn to pick him up. (Actually I don't think the rules even allow for that - the turn structure is built around the assumption that every Doctor will face an adventure every turn.)

Yes, good point. I'd hate to have him just pop back to Earth, though. Maybe he "goes away" when the location does. Then, when someone uses the other K-9 card that is more standard, that brings him back into play at their location, or something.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Smith
msg tools
I've been soloing the game like K-9 always got passed to the Doctor whose turn would come next. He saved my arse plenty of times, and would have saved it even more, if I weren't generally unlucky with dice rolling. xD

Also as I understand from another thread, you can still use his skill at Fixed Points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.