7 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terrain effect and special power? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teerawut A.
Thailand
flag msg tools
The rule of talents states that talent's numerical modifiers such as +1 offence in archer does not modify the effects of power.

How about terrain effects? do they apply to the special power?

The situation is that Artemis stand on the rock and use golden bow special attack which give her a range1+ attack with +1 offence.

At full health, she can do a ranges3 with 7 dice attack (no terrain effect)?
or she can do a ranges4 with 8 dice attack (terrain effect apply)?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teerawut A.
Thailand
flag msg tools
And what about Pan stand on the rock and use panic special power, will it be 5+x instead of 4+x?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we haven't found a ruling saying that terrain doesn't affect powers we use them. But just to clarify, for example with Rock, we add the +1 Offense and +1 Range to the boards stat numbers.

So for your example with Artemis, when she uses Golden Bow on a Rock, she would make a (6 Base +1 for Rock to her offensive number +1 for Golden Bow) attack of 8 dice.

For Pan's Panic though, it specifically says "Make a 4+the number of units" attack. Since it doesn't use the Offense stat on the Character Board, then Rock's +1 Offense doesn't add anything to Panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammaell NA
msg tools
Keep in mind that Offence and Range are stats, which are usually not related to a power. Powers with a X-attack component are typically represented in the black/white Power column of the stat sheet.

In the case of Artemis, her Golden Bow power actually uses Offence stat as the strength of the attack (w/ +1), so a rock or higher terrain would increase the Offence/Range of her power.

For most other powers (Pan's Panic or Zeus' lightning power, etc.) the attack value is defined as part of the power or in the Power's column of the stat sheet. Neither use the Offence or Range stats.

I don't have the rules or characters in front of me, so my apologies if I have something slightly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have a similar question—Can powers modify attacking powers?

For example, Hercules decides to throw a tree using ‘Heraclean Strength’, he is in the same area as Eurytos, whose ability ‘Eagle Eye’ gives +1 attack to friendly units in his area making ranged attacks.

If the answer to that is ‘yes, that works’, then how about about powers that grant area attacks (ie, Athena’s Owl) or multiple attacks—would they too benifit from modifiers from terrain (ie, Rock) or powers (ie, Eurytos’s Eagle Eye)?

I guess I’m confused on this because Talents specifically say ‘NO’ to modifying powers, but I can’t seem to find the reference for powers (or terrain) modifying attacking powers.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maurice_Oksman wrote:
Yeah, I have a similar question—Can powers modify attacking powers?

For example, Hercules decides to throw a tree using ‘Heraclean Strength’, he is in the same area as Eurytos, whose ability ‘Eagle Eye’ gives +1 attack to friendly units in his area making ranged attacks.

If the answer to that is ‘yes, that works’, then how about about powers that grant area attacks (ie, Athena’s Owl) or multiple attacks—would they too benifit from modifiers from terrain (ie, Rock) or powers (ie, Eurytos’s Eagle Eye)?

I guess I’m confused on this because Talents specifically say ‘NO’ to modifying powers, but I can’t seem to find the reference for powers (or terrain) modifying attacking powers.

Thank you!

So just to state it, I agree its somewhat vague, but the way our group interprets it:

If the Power has set values, then we do not add external Talent or Terrain bonuses. For example if a power says "Make a 5 dice, range 2 attack", then we would not change the values since changing the 5 or the 2 would be affecting the power.

If the Power though uses the units stats instead, we do, the reasoning being the Talents and Terrain are boosting their stats (not the powers) and then power just happens to be using that stat. Taking Artemis' Golden Bow for example, it says you can make a ranged attack at +1, basically saying "use her stats to make an attack and add a dice". In this case we would add external +1s to her stat bar, and then the power makes her do an attack using those values.

Also to note too, there is a +2/-2 max/min on bonuses like this anyway, so playing this way has felt pretty fair and balanced so far in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this seems to make the most sense thus far, good call Emil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.