Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Norway

Subject: Moving to Oslo - any English or Spanish speaking groups around? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignasi Miró
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisann!
I will be moving to Oslo in a few days and I was wondering if there is any group of English speakers (or Spanish) that I could maybe join in their sessions.

I've been meeting with my friends in Spain three to four times a month since forever, so it's a tradition I would miss greatly. I'm also bringing with me my collection, a few games at a time. I like pretty much every genre BUT wargames, area control games and those games in which you have to be cutthroat and highly competitive. I prefer fun over competition.

Well that's it! Cheers!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the frozen north! I think this thread is relevant to you then

English speakers are all over the place, while Spanish is a little less common. But considering how much Norwegians like Spain (or at least the faraway tourist destinations in Spanish territory) you're likely to meet Spanish speakers occasionally.

I also like a friendly co-op game now and then between all the murdering and duelling, and will play anything with relatively short setup time
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignasi Miró
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusen takk!
I will definitely take a look at that thread. And whenever I have set myself up (just arrived yesterday, loads of paperwork ahead) I might get in contact to clean your murder track record!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The neverending paperwork is a fine Scandinavian tradition
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out 17klubben on Facebook. A comprehensive list of all the gaming places and events every week (in Norwegian, but not so complicated).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignasi Miró
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually signed up and commenting from time to time! Although it's a bit intimidating since it's all in Norwegian and I'm not used to how things work and all that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use Facebook, and those things tend to be closed so you can't read without having an account. I always prefer it if people use public forums so I can know about events without having yet another account.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignasi Miró
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can follow the planning of events and all that quite fine, but I'm a bit confused still on how things work. Back from where I come, you just appeared in the boardgame shop with your bag of games and sat down in one of their tables until you got your good share of gaming worth, as long as any snacks or drinks you were to consume were bought in the same store.
I don't know if that is applicable in Outland or sth, since it's relatively close from where I live in Oslo. I tried to make sense of all the listings in brettspill klubber, but there are so many places, instructions and so on that at least for now make it really intimidating for me to step forward and get some action going (me being rather introverted isn't helping either... Heh!). Also, this freezing weather also makes the prospect of just going there quite unappealing, often opting to just fire up my computer or console and get some gaming there
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kurtensen wrote:
Back from where I come, you just appeared in the boardgame shop with your bag of games and sat down in one of their tables until you got your good share of gaming worth

You can basically do that at Outland's new store, but watch out for popular tournaments. The major few card games during the weekends are probably the loudest.

I've tried showing up for things listed on their activity calendar, but it's a bit hit and miss. Mostly miss for L5R it seems, as I saw more Pathfinder than anything else (they outnumbered MtG, which is kinda fantastic though).

I'd say this forum is the best place to organise anything because we can list our collections. Start a thread expressing interest and take it from there.

(And any lazy gits who haven't added their games to their BGG collections should do so!)

Quote:
as long as any snacks or drinks you were to consume were bought in the same store.

There's drink and snacks, and so many places to buy real or real-ish food nearby that this is covered here

Quote:
I tried to make sense of all the listings in brettspill klubber, but there are so many places

I think that if I'm meeting up for a game with 1-5 people, Outland is a good location Monday thru Thursday. It's been good on the occasions I've had so far. For sideband communication a simple option is Skype group chat.

Quote:
Also, this freezing weather also makes the prospect of just going there quite unappealing, often opting to just fire up my computer or console and get some gaming there

Best-Grip 1000 ice studs and a scarf worthy of Doctor Who helps against the elements, but a massive game collection does make it worse. Work up a bit of RSI so that you can't hold the controllers, maybe
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eveline
Norway
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kurtensen wrote:
I can follow the planning of events and all that quite fine, but I'm a bit confused still on how things work. Back from where I come, you just appeared in the boardgame shop with your bag of games and sat down in one of their tables until you got your good share of gaming worth, as long as any snacks or drinks you were to consume were bought in the same store.
I don't know if that is applicable in Outland or sth, since it's relatively close from where I live in Oslo. I tried to make sense of all the listings in brettspill klubber, but there are so many places, instructions and so on that at least for now make it really intimidating for me to step forward and get some action going (me being rather introverted isn't helping either... Heh!). Also, this freezing weather also makes the prospect of just going there quite unappealing, often opting to just fire up my computer or console and get some gaming there

Hi and welcome to Oslo! 17Klubben is welcoming any new members; Just show up and look for us at one of the locations and times mentioned. Don't be afraid to say hi, if you're not sure if you've found the right group of people, ask "Hi, is this 17Klubben"? And I'm sure everything will go smoothly from there - you will be welcomed

Outland (where we play on Sundays and Mondays) is often crowded, but we're normally sitting close to the windows on the right side. If you come to Torshov library on Friday or Majorstua library on Saturday, just go through the libraries to find "interior" rooms where the playing is taking place.

So yes, with 17klubben, it's like you write - you can appear, say hi, and start playing
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.