5 Posts

Mafia de Cuba» Forums » General

Subject: Sell the base game or buy the expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Rule 34: If something exists, there is a Monopoly of it. No exceptions.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I got Mafia de Cuba over 2 years ago due to the enthusiastic SU&SD review and played it with my then gaming group who didn't really warm up to it. We couldn't quite put our fingers on why we didn't like it. My conclusion was that we might be too primed by Avalon-like mechanics that we didn't really enjoy thinking outside (or in this case inside) the box anymore.

Then I read the great BGG article about a Nash equilibrium with 7/8 players explaining how the game in the base role setup can be "solved", i.e. how there is no incentive to make any other choice than the optimal, even if you know everyone else does so as well.

This sucks. Then came the expansion:
Some people claim that the additional roles fix said problem of optimal decisions and determinism while other people say they are too random, derivative, not fun etc..

So my question is: Which set of characters, base game or expansion, do you recommend for a given player count that is actually fun and variable without house-ruling the shit out of the game? The theme is so charming, therefore I'd like to give it another shot. Depending on the suggestions, I'll either get rid of the base game or get the addon.

Cheers
Florian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game needs an expansion to be playable, it's trash. Dump it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I'm a bit less negative than that.

It's not an unplayable piece of overhyped excrement that doesn't even qualify as a game *EXPLODING KITTENS* *cough*

I'm just wondering if the expansion would make it the game I want it to be.
Otherwise I'd just sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s unlikely. If your group has already found the game not to their tastes, the expansion won’t change it up enough for them to change their minds. At best, they’d probably find it mediocre, because initial impressions count the most.

Then again, the game can still be had for a very reasonable price brand new, so you likely wouldn’t get a good price for it. I’d say give it to someone who you think might like it, but don’t waste the tenner on an expansion that likely won’t get played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the suggestion, and yes, giving it away makes more sense at current prices.

But It's not like I hated the game. It feels very refreshing. It just seems solvable, and I wonder if that's not the case with a different role setup, that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.