Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Colours between the eight types of events cards need to be evenly distributed to make sure a game is solvable, hence we have eight deck types, one each for the unaligned and catastrophes, of which players have to draw five each in a random setup, making sure the the obstacles linked to these cards can be overcome.

Now, the other magic items should be evenly distributed, but they aren't. Each of the remaining 6 deck types has one dominant magic icon (the first row) which is sported on ALL cards of its deck. The cross, circle and "flash" type magic event card types consequently have each two of the remains five colors in the second row as icons, for example the cross event deck has the blue magic familiar icon on ALL cards and the other five colors on two cards each. Makes perfect sense, as this should statistically guarantee an even distribution of the magic items when you form a random deck.

Now, this does NOT hold true for the rectangular, the "M" and "T" shaped event card types. Taking those three decks together you will find the following symbols in their second rows:

7 times enchanting
5 times each channeling, familiar and hexes
4 times (only) each ritual and brewing

This looks to me like two of the channeling symbols should actually be ritual and brewing repectively as to guarantee the even distribution.

Is this a misprint or was this does deliberately for some reason I cannot see (the magic icons on the objectives are evenly distributed, so that should not be the reason)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory, Onirim has suits that you might expect to be symmetrical, but they aren't. Knowing that certain colors are rarer adds bit more depth to the decision-making. I have no idea if that was the intent here, but it seems possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Michael,

Thank you for asking the question. There is intentional asymmetry in my design of Witches of the Revolution.

For example, with Objectives -- with the {Familiar + Hexes} set, there are two sevens (4F+3H, 3F+4H} and two sixes (2F+4H, 4F+2H) ... while with the {Brewing + Ritual} set there are three sixes {2/4, 3/3, 4/2} and one seven {3+4}.

There are no unsolvable states on the basis on Event deck distribution of secondary solving options, since there are five of each "primary" element (e.g.: Ritual, Familiar) and no more than four requirements. If players want to be "safe", they can 'only' apply Events to their Primary affiliation (i.e.: first solve option).

The disparity of secondary solve options isn't extreme --
11x Enchanting (red swirl)
10x Brewing (green cauldron)
9x Channeling (purple hand)
11x Hexes (yellow star)
9x Familiars (blue cat head)
10x Rituals (gold cup)
-- but you're correct to assess they're not equal.

It's a deeper question to ask, "should there be symmetry in game-solving facets?" -- but I think the answer is, "there needn't be".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Craig,

thanks for taking your time for such a long answer! May I ask what the design intention behind the uneven distribution is?

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel -- in the right contexts -- unequal distribution can make for more interesting decisions during gameplay. Obviously, I don't want to create inherently unsolvable game states -- further mitigation against which includes the special power of Steward cards.

For example, when choosing whether to apply a {Brewing or Familiar} Event to either a {Familiar + Hexes} Objective or a {Brewing + Rituals} Objective, players must not only consider how many tokens remain on each Objective, but also how likely more of each are likely to appear later in the game.

That decision would be easier with symmetry -- esp. if all Objectives required {3+3} of their required resources, and the Event deck always had 10 of each resource type (i.e.: each resource appeared on exactly ten cards -- on five as the first option, and on another five as the second option). For me, knowing that it's not equally distributed gives me more to think about; for players who don't want to wrestle with that extra uncertainty, it's straightforward to always apply an Event to the Objective corresponding to its first overcome condition (first row).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.