4 Posts

Evolution: The Beginning» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternate adaptations, a la Original Evolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J R
msg tools
mbmb
I got evolution: the beginning for Christmas. Played it a few times and it is a lovely, quick, light version. We have played a LOT of evolution and climate, and this, while much less deep, still has the wonderful sensation of development.

What I'm wondering is this: could you play turns simultaneously like in the original, with alternate activations in the adaptations phase? So, food into the hole, then I play 1 card, then you play 1 card, then me, then you, until we're finished, then feeding.

Figure you'd need alternating first player, instead of the consistent first player. And it would add a level of complexity, which is slightly counter intuitive to the intention of the game. But would it be a good development for more experienced players?

I've been noodling around on my own playing two hands and figuring it could work, but i need to test play it some more with others. I wonder what other peoples / the designers thoughts might be

Happy Christmas all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would do much to the game play because of he way the cards were designed. For instance:

1) The cards do not have food number on them.
2) There is no way to get food faster.

#2 is the killer! Since the turn structure in The Beginning is different, we did not include any cards in the game which allows a species to collect food from the Watering Hole faster than other species. So I don't think changing the turn structure would change the Watering Hole dynamic. There is no way to race for food unless you create cards like Foraging and Cooperation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
msg tools
mbmb
domcrap wrote:
I don't think it would do much to the game play because of he way the cards were designed. For instance:

1) The cards do not have food number on them.
2) There is no way to get food faster.

#2 is the killer! Since the turn structure in The Beginning is different, we did not include any cards in the game which allows a species to collect food from the Watering Hole faster than other species. So I don't think changing the turn structure would change the Watering Hole dynamic. There is no way to race for food unless you create cards like Foraging and Cooperation.

Having played a load more now, we've come to the same conclusion. Its such a pure and well made system that you don't get anything from the alternate activations.

The other thing we've noticed is that the style of this game over the original favours a tactical approach to each turn. You're counting on the give and take of the carnivores, more so than the engine building of the full game. So having control of the turn is a really important part of that, to get the most efficiency out of your species.

We were discussing yesterday what it looses, or dosent have, vs the original, and decided that it doesn't loose anything. Its evolution! Its just not as deep. I love it. One of my favourites now!

Thanks for taking the time to reply! (I'm fanboying, just a little! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Beginning was designed to be easy to explain to people - even to people who don't normally play board games. It still has depth as a 2-player game, but like you say, the decisions you're making are quite different. Although there are synergies between the cards, but you don't get card combos like you do in the original Evolution (where one card triggers another card and you can get a chain reaction). The major decisions are when to hold cards and when to play them. So tactical by nature, but also foresight is needed because whether you chose the right time to pounce will not become clear until several turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.