Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a consensus that if a player wins nothing in a round, they're screwed. An easy catch-up/fix comes to mind:

- When you discard your coins after not winning a given auction slot, don't just put them into your collective discard (with your discards from previous rounds). Instead, put them into a pile consisting of only this round's discards.

- If, immediately following the evaluation of the final auction slot of the round, you have not won any auctions this round, pick any one coin from the pile of coins you've discarded this round. Set it aside, then go ahead and merge your "this round's discards" pile with your main discard pile.

- When you draw your new hand for next turn, you may swap the set-aside coin for any 1 coin you just drew. The unwanted coin (i.e. the coin for which you've swapped the set-aside coin, or, in rare cases, the set-aside coin, is either (a) placed back in your bag (if you ended up filling your bag with your discards after last turn) or (b) placed in your discards, if your coins from the end of last turn are still sitting in your discards.

Not only does this serve as a catch-up mechanism, it also gives players the strategic option of INTENTIONALLY tanking a round if they have a weak draw in order to have a super-strong subsequent turn.

In a 2 or 3 player game, you could also extend this option to any players who only won 1 auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aucoin
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game with this problem. I will have to try your suggestion in my next game. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maucoin wrote:
I just played a game with this problem. I will have to try your suggestion in my next game. Thanks!

Let me know how it goes. Two points:

1. On second thought, it might make more sense to ALWAYS place the coin you replace (with your set aside coin) into your discards rather than back in the bag (even if you ended up reshuffling), so you don't see it again too soon. After all, it's presumably a "bad" coin and the point of the rule is to help you out).

2. I think I know why you bought this game, Mr. Michael Aucoin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aucoin
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Au= Gold, Coin = Coin

Gold Coin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.