Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilbert Tobal
Spain
Arroyomolinos
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there room for this game in a collection with Gloomhaven, 7th continent and Kingdom death monster? My fear is two-fold: Being involved in too many campaigns and my dungeon-crawling/tactical combat needs being covered with the games mentioned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Bosco
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm certainly no expert on the matter but I can hopefully provide some insight.

Are you looking at getting the retail edition (S&S: Immortal Souls)?

If so, as a recent buyer, I will say I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far but the content is currently very limited. The are only a handful of heroes that can be played as either lawful or chaotic. The handful of heroes play very similar to the tropes that one would expect with a fantasy theme. Archer, tank, cleric, mage...etc. The story parts and event deck are fun and there is a decent amount of variability in each playthrough. In a vacuum, I would recommend this game to anyone who is interested in a dice-chucking dungeon crawl...when the full content is eventually released to retail. Now, all of this goes out the window if you are looking at getting the KS version secondhand. I can't speak to all that is included in that.

Compared to the games you mentioned (I've followed all three games very closely), S&S scratches a different itch. Gloomhaven and T7C are card driven games and KDM isn't a dungeon crawl. Therefore, adding S&S to your collection is not exactly redundant. The value of adding it to your collection is it currently offers you something that is much shorter than the rest of the items listed. You could play the handful of quests of Act I in S&S from beginning to end and get a sense of completion (for now), while it will take those other three games much longer to get that same sense of accomplishment. However, waiting for ACT II and other content for S&S will give you a grander campaign to fully enjoy.

TLDR: It's not exactly redundant to add this game to your collection. Scratches a different itch. Limited content as of today. Rest of the content on its way. Still very fun as of current retail content. More explicit story than the other games you've listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
S&S's main drawback is the single set of quests it currently comes with. But there is certainly the potential for a variety of other quests to be produced, either by the fan base using the already-released quest editor, or by Ares Games itself. This does not seem to have happened yet, but I'm optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've used the quest editor, and it is very good. Problem is, I'm not very motivated to play a quest I designed myself.

Hopefully someone else will want to play it when I'm done. I'm also waiting for the wave 2 cards to arrive and give me more option for quest making (I'm a bit tired of the base game monsters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
gvt2000 wrote:
Is there room for this game in a collection with Gloomhaven, 7th continent and Kingdom death monster? My fear is two-fold: Being involved in too many campaigns and my dungeon-crawling/tactical combat needs being covered with the games mentioned

Compared to the other games, S&S is pretty cheap at retail. I got it off Miniature Market for $45 which is half or 1/4th of the cost of GH or 7th Continent. At that price I figure it's worth a playthrough or 2 without feeling guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.