Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: Contest in Leader Corner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I have questions about cars in front of a leader in a corner.

Page 19 of the 3.0 1.1 rules suggests that cars in front of a leader in a corner are excluded from a contest involving the leader. As in a straight, described on page 6, the corner will be divided in two sub-sections. So far so good...

Lets say that in the corner is respectively a robot, the leader and a player.

Page 15 tells us that a robot will not defend itself against a lapping attempt, but the robot will not be included in the contest at all, it is in a different subsection!
I am confused shake espacially after reading the FAQ 1.2 March 2015 page 8 fig. 4, which includes the (non-defending) robot car in the contest.
Also page 17 of the rules tells us that a leader check is not required when the leader 'overtakes' (should be 'is lapping' I think) through a contest.
Wich way is the right way to play this situation?

Next the leader wins the contest from the player and drives away.
The player had already a contest in the specific corner, but not with the robot.
Can the player initiates a new contest, because it is now in a different (sub)section?
In which case the robot won't defend itself because of the lapping attempt?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ was written before the 3.0L rulebook, so ignore the FAQ. After the change to have the leader always create a subsection, it no longer became possible for the leader to lap in a contest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
ryan3740 wrote:
The FAQ was written before the 3.0L rulebook, so ignore the FAQ. After the change to have the leader always create a subsection, it no longer became possible for the leader to lap in a contest.


Thanx Ryan, that makes sense.
(I will also ignore a part of the sentence on page 17 3.0 1.1 rules (Leader Lapping): This check is not required if the Leader overtakes through a contest)

What about my second question?
In the corner is respectively a robot, the leader and a player
The player and the leader do have a contest in the subsection, the Leader wins and drives away, leaving the corner with the robot and the player.
Can the player initiate a second contest?
Does he win this contest automatically?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcel Bos wrote:

What about my second question?
In the corner is respectively a robot, the leader and a player
The player and the leader do have a contest in the subsection, the Leader wins and drives away, leaving the corner with the robot and the player.
Can the player initiate a second contest?
Does he win this contest automatically?


This example is not possible. If a LEADER finish in a corner with a ROBOT ahead, in the same turn the ROBOT will move, after all sections behind the LEADER be activated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
descolado1 wrote:
Marcel Bos wrote:

What about my second question?
In the corner is respectively a robot, the leader and a player
The player and the leader do have a contest in the subsection, the Leader wins and drives away, leaving the corner with the robot and the player.
Can the player initiate a second contest?
Does he win this contest automatically?


This example is not possible. If a LEADER finish in a corner with a ROBOT ahead, in the same turn the ROBOT will move, after all sections behind the LEADER be activated.


Indeed a bad example, when I think about it, you are right.
What if the robot in my example was also a player (which changed his strategy in the last turn or unlapped himself).
Can the player in last position initiate a second contest against the player in first position after the leader moved away?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcel Bos wrote:
descolado1 wrote:
Marcel Bos wrote:

What about my second question?
In the corner is respectively a robot, the leader and a player
The player and the leader do have a contest in the subsection, the Leader wins and drives away, leaving the corner with the robot and the player.
Can the player initiate a second contest?
Does he win this contest automatically?


This example is not possible. If a LEADER finish in a corner with a ROBOT ahead, in the same turn the ROBOT will move, after all sections behind the LEADER be activated.


Indeed a bad example, when I think about it, you are right.
What if the robot in my example was also a player (which changed his strategy in the last turn or unlapped himself).
Can the player in last position initiate a second contest against the player in first position after the leader moved away?


One interesting thing about this game is people will believe something is impossible, and then they discover they were wrong. I’ve done it myself.

Both your examples are possible. Here’s how. At the start of a new round, the leader (Blue) pits. The new leader is red, and he finds himself in a section directly behind a lapped or about to be lapped robot—your examples.

A big problem here is the case when the robot ahead of the leader has not been lapped yet, so the leader must make an immediate leader-lap check. If he fails, he does not move at all that turn! If it happens, it usually causes a big pileup of cars in that section. This has happened to me often enough that I added a special rule in my solo games: the leader doesn’t have to make a leader-lap check in this one special case.

As for your second question (the leader moves away; is there another contest in that section with the robot?), I never thought about it, and I don’t think anyone else has too. I would rule that a contest happens because there is no rule that prevents it. In my play, it never occurred to me a contest could happen in this case, but now I believe it should.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
Marcel Bos wrote:

What about my second question?
In the corner is respectively a robot, the leader and a player
The player and the leader do have a contest in the subsection, the Leader wins and drives away, leaving the corner with the robot and the player.
Can the player initiate a second contest?
Does he win this contest automatically?


This example is not possible. If a LEADER finish in a corner with a ROBOT ahead, in the same turn the ROBOT will move, after all sections behind the LEADER be activated.

If the Leader pits and is placed behind a robot which then unlap it self and it’s the Leaders turn again, what then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both your examples are possible. Here’s how. At the start of a new round, the leader (Blue) pits. The new leader is red, and he finds himself in a section directly behind a lapped or about to be lapped robot—your examples.


Yes STAN, happen to me a much worse situation (picture below).



I create a post in this occasion question about how to proceed.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1861659/uncommon-situat...

I did not want to comment about this example because is a rare event.

In the picture above, the WILLIAMS made a pitstop and the SUPERFAST gained the LEADER TOKEN.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
shilinski wrote:

As for your second question (the leader moves away; is there another contest in that section with the robot?), I never thought about it, and I don’t think anyone else has too. I would rule that a contest happens because there is no rule that prevents it. In my play, it never occurred to me a contest could happen in this case, but now I believe it should.


Like me, you (now) believe the player in last position automatically entered a different (sub)section .

Page 19: "In other words everyone is
limited to only one possibility to play a contest in each particular section (or sub-section)"


Slotracer wrote:

If the Leader pits and is placed behind a robot which then unlap it self and it’s the Leaders turn again, what then?


I like to think that de Leader, first to move, has to lap the robot again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.