Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Automa Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
1 When playing Automa(+) and it comes down to reading order is it my reading order or where the phantom Automa would be sitting? Readeing order is relative to where your sitting at the board correct?

2 Reading order in any case seems rather predictable for the Automa as in I know when faced with a tie I know which of the Automa pieces will move.

3 Wouldn't Automa simulation be more realistic if at a tie instead of reading order it was chosen by chance...coin, die etc. At least the human would have to to contemplate 2 moves vs reading order. This would remove the "I know where he's going"? aspect of the Human vs Automa(s) game.

Any thoughts
sorry if already covered new here to Scythe Fourm
Darkmax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading order is always from the top left of the board, regardless of where you are sitting.

I haven't found any issue with predictability, since most movements don't need the tiebreaker, and even when they do the "closest to factory" tiebreaker usually triggers first anyway.

You may want to check out these threads if you are new to the Automa:

Common Automa Mistakes
Automa Examples
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yes of course but when I play Rusivit vs automa and sit at their spot (rotate board)top left is encounter deck if I play Nordic (rotate board)top left is purple base etc. Is there a top to this board? Should I not be rotating board?
When playing 3 Automas my readers left seems heavy on deployment? (maybe I'm doing it wrong) I used each phantom's automa seat for "reading left" and found deployment more diverse (most epic game ever)

As for chance.. if I have 3 automa mechs (= factory) that can attack my 1 mech I know readers left mech is going to attack why? I need the another to attack to clear a path (if I win) so this is where I use a die 1-2 left 3-4 middle 5-6 right attacks (more human)

Maybe just a automa house rule people may want to consider
Thank Ill check posts
Darkmax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmax wrote:
Yes of course but when I play Rusivit vs automa and sit at their spot (rotate board)top left is encounter deck if I play Nordic (rotate board)top left is purple base etc. Is there a top to this board? Should I not be rotating board?
When playing 3 Automas my readers left seems heavy on deployment? (maybe I'm doing it wrong) I used each phantom's automa seat for "reading left" and found deployment more diverse (most epic game ever)

As for chance.. if I have 3 automa mechs (= factory) that can attack my 1 mech I know readers left mech is going to attack why? I need the another to attack to clear a path (if I win) so this is where I use a die 1-2 left 3-4 middle 5-6 right attacks (more human)

Maybe just a automa house rule people may want to consider
Thank Ill check posts
Darkmax

There is a clear "top" to the board, with the star tracker in the top left, i.e. when all of the numbers on the board are facing you right side up.

Having 3 automa mechs that are equal distance from the factory and their home base is so rare as to be almost meaningless to gameplay. Aren't you always choosing the combat unit closest to home base, as instructed, for this move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're not doing dice based selection for two reasons:

1) We'd have to add a die to the game just for that thus increasing the cost.

2) Picking up and rolling a die would slow down the gameplay while always doing English reading order quickly becomes almost instant to use.

If you physically turn the board based on what faction you play, then you can go with reading order correspondingly when playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmax wrote:

2 Reading order in any case seems rather predictable for the Automa as in I know when faced with a tie I know which of the Automa will move.

The reading order for tiebreaker becomes quick and efficient once you get used to it. The only predictability issue I've seen was with 2 players (Crimea, Nordic) + 1 automa (Polania). In situations that were tied, I (Crimea) knew I would be safe because the automa (Polania) would break ties towards attacking Nordic instead.

I guess that's like sitting down at the table with a player harboring a grudge from a previous game? It didn't feel unfair per se, but definitely became predictable by game end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
probablemagic wrote:
Darkmax wrote:

2 Reading order in any case seems rather predictable for the Automa as in I know when faced with a tie I know which of the Automa will move.

The reading order for tiebreaker becomes quick and efficient once you get used to it. The only predictability issue I've seen was with 2 players (Crimea, Nordic) + 1 automa (Polania). In situations that were tied, I (Crimea) knew I would be safe because the automa (Polania) would break ties towards attacking Nordic instead.

I guess that's like sitting down at the table with a player harboring a grudge from a previous game? It didn't feel unfair per se, but definitely became predictable by game end.

Yeah, when playing with multiple humans, the Automa will have a preference for one of them.

As context for those who do not know this, I'll add that playing with multiple Automas is not a part of the rules in the box. Those rules were designed for 1 human vs. 1 Automa. The rules for any combination of humans and Automas is a semi-official variant.

If anyone finds the bias towards the upper right corner to be a problem with multiple humans an arrow token could be used for indicating normal English reading order and opposite English reading order and flipping it over each time the tiebreaker is used or a die could be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Jackson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
1st thank you all
Yes my issue was with multiple Automas going at each other constantly due to positioning (at start) when it was clear that I was a threat and a human would at least try to disrupt me (very rare I’m a threat) so house rule is die.
As a strictly solo player (4 Automa decks) I also made the mistake of using a large table placing each deck at its corresponding faction then sitting at my faction which changes my reading left. All my epic games are now tainted because that was wrong. I did use the phantom/automa player’s reading left a couple of games which seemed to work too? (no die)

Thank you all I love this game own both expansions and just can’t get enough of it. Now if I can just get my game shop team warmed up to it (huff) There’s always TTS (I bought that version too)

Thank you
Darkmax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Darkmax wrote:

sorry if already covered new here to Scythe Fourm
Darkmax

Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.