5 Posts

Thunderbolt Apache Leader» Forums » General

Subject: 3D terrain tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pieter Lubbe
msg tools
mbmbmb
I seem to remember seeing photos of "3D" terrain tiles for TAL made out of MDF, with cut-out silhouettes of hills and ridges mounted at 90 degrees to the base of the tile (therefore not true 3D). Although I thought I saw these on this site under the "images" section for this game, or perhaps in a "play-through" video (on youtube), but now I cannot find it again.

Has anyone else seen these, or am I only imagining that I saw something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think you're talking about the giant-sized game with miniatures that I did at CelestiCon 2011...

The pictures are in the image section for the original edition of TAL.

The first edition used rectangular terrain cards which had random ridge lines on the edges. I drew rectangles on a big green cloth, then drew cards to determine the locations of the ridges, then placed the hardboard ridges onto the cloth. So there were no actual tiles.

If drag out those miniatures again, and it would be a shame i I didn't, I'll have to make a new terrain system compatible with second edition. There are some new tiles to make, lots of stuff to rebuild. But it's great to play as a group activity, with each player taking just one or two pilots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Lubbe
msg tools
mbmbmb
That is it, yes.

Thank you, Andrew.

I found it a bit strange to see other pictures of players using miniatures on flat terrain tiles, and thought your idea added a layer of immersion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Exactly. They were quick and dirty, but they added a lot a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
After all, a murder is only an extroverted suicide.
mbmbmbmb
I think I'd like such 3D mod for the tiles, but not that way ; maybe more subtle, with a thick layer upon the tile itself to make it like some sort of plateau. Just for visual enhancement, but still being core box-friendly laugh

But this picture is nifty enough though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.