United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a simple solitaire variant that allows for a relatively quick and enjoyable single-player session while preserving the basic rules mechanics.

If there are any rules questions or discrepancies, follow the official rules.

Set-up: 5 base tiles + starting tile/4 pirates each/6 cards per crew (AIs cards are kept in two separate face down stacks; human player may choose cards from his/her hand as normal).

This solitaire variant utilizes 1-Human Player and 2-Artificial Intelligent bots (AIs); however, you can surely incorporate these rules into a 2-Player game to include a 3rd or 4th AI player to enhance game play.

Turn Order: AI-1/Human Player/AI-2

Human Player: Plays as normal (as per rules)

AI Players: Last pirate always moves forward; first pirate always moves backwards when its deck is depleted.

AI always plays 2 cards (one at a time) from its stack to move forward. For each move action, move the last pirate. If out of cards, move the lead pirate backwards (even if in the boat) to the nearest available space. Whether occupied by 1 or 2 pirates, the AI always draws 2 cards to form a new stack, and then finishes its 2 action move forward.

Victory Conditions: 1st Crew to get 4 pirates in the boat wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will certainly give this a try, it looks pretty simple & fun.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I will certainly give this a try, it looks pretty simple & fun.
Thanks!

Thanks.

My goal was to keep it simple and to preserve the basic rules of the game as much as possible.

I have 13 plays in with this variant. I played around with a deck size of 8 cards for the AIs, but 6 (as normal) seems to work best. I also used 6 tiles at times, but again, 5 tiles seemed best to achieve balance. I tried various card draw options for the AIs, but the 2 move action requirement and the 2 card draw when moving backwards seemed the best solution to achieve balance.

My last 3 plays using the above variant resulted in each player winning once each, and very very close finishes for 2nd and 3rd place. In other words, any player had a chance to win. Yes it is very much luck-driven, but the Human Player still has the same strategy decision-making as in a regular game.

Enjoy,
Etien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
Doesn't this create an advantage for the human player. You have a maximum of 3 actions to play. If those actions are all done by playing cards, then that is 1 card more than the AI players will be able to play. Or does it mean the AI players play 2 cards (one at a time) per action? If that is the case, then it could feel like the AI players have an advantage over the human player, but since they have no choices to make, the advantage is neutralized a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.