Subject: #9 card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brad p
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If a trick includes exactly one #9 card (any suit) - the only cards that take it are #10 trump and #11 trump. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brad p
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another follow up question,
1. If someone plays a non trump 9 , then I can also play a trump 9 to win ?
2. If someone plays the only 9 , i'm also forced to play a trump now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
Another follow up question,
1. If someone plays a non trump 9 , then I can also play a trump 9 to win ?

1. Trump beats non-trump (always). In this scenario, you have two 9's, so the ability does not activate. (That's why it says "in a trick with one 9...")

2. The phrase "at the end of the trick" is in place so that the second player will obey the usual "follow suit" rules when playing their card to the trick. The lone 9 "becomes" trump after both cards have been played (and after the ability of the second card has been resolved).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
If someone plays a non trump 9, then I can also play a trump 9 to win ?

Trump beats non-trump (always). In this scenario, you have two 9's, so the ability does not activate. (That's why it says "in a trick with one 9...")

Just to be clear: if someone leads a non-trump, you cannot play a trump (9 or otherwise) if you have the suit led - even if the card led is a 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:

2. The phrase "at the end of the trick" is in place so that the second player will obey the usual "follow suit" rules when playing their card to the trick. The lone 9 "becomes" trump after both cards have been played (and after the ability of the second card has been resolved).

Thank, I'm. Slightly. More. Confused now , if opponent play a 9 keys (say non trump), I'm forced to follow suit, so even if I play 10 of the keys I loose?

So only way to beat a 9 is to NOT have card of the leading suit and then follow it with a 10/11 of trump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:

If someone plays the only 9 , i'm also forced to play a trump now?

The phrase "at the end of the trick" is in place so that the second player will obey the usual "follow suit" rules when playing their card to the trick. The lone 9 "becomes" trump after both cards have been played (and after the ability of the second card has been resolved).

Thank, I'm. Slightly. More. Confused now , if opponent play a 9 keys (say non trump), I'm forced to follow suit, so even if I play 10 of the keys I lose?

So only way to beat a 9 is to NOT have card of the leading suit and then follow it with a 10/11 of trump.

Or the 9 of trump.

If you play the 9 of trump, the original 9 is not considered trump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally. My brain can make sense of this.
Thank you all for sorting this for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
[q="prashantmaheshwari"]2. The phrase "at the end of the trick" is in place so that the second player will obey the usual "follow suit" rules when playing their card to the trick. The lone 9 "becomes" trump after both cards have been played (and after the ability of the second card has been resolved).

That phrase isn't actually used. It says "when determining the winner of a trick" which is a little less clear actually. I was kinda confused about this card too. I guess 9's basically mean they can only be beat by a 9, 10, or 11 of trump. Right? And if a non-trump 9 is lead, they must follow the suit of the 9, not trump.

What's the deal with this card? It's nearly always going to win the trick, so you just don't want any 9's if you're going Humble. It doesn't as much seem like a tactical tool as some of the other powers. Is there some strategy around using 9's that I'm not getting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eNonsense wrote:
The Chaz wrote:
[q="prashantmaheshwari"]2. The phrase "at the end of the trick" is in place so that the second player will obey the usual "follow suit" rules when playing their card to the trick. The lone 9 "becomes" trump after both cards have been played (and after the ability of the second card has been resolved).

That phrase isn't actually used. It says "when determining the winner of a trick" which is a little less clear actually. I was kinda confused about this card too. I guess 9's basically mean they can only be beat by a 9, 10, or 11 of trump. Right? And if a non-trump 9 is lead, they must follow the suit of the 9, not trump.

What's the deal with this card? It's nearly always going to win the trick, so you just don't want any 9's if you're going Humble. It doesn't as much seem like a tactical tool as some of the other powers. Is there some strategy around using 9's that I'm not getting?

You can win up to 3 tricks and still be Humble, so a 9 or two don't automatically lose that for you. And depending on the rest of your hand, sometimes you just can't do Humble and you might need to go for Victorious instead, which 9's can help achieve.

I mean, it is a Witch card, and you can never really trust a Witch, can you? It could be a good Witch or a bad Witch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t forget that foxes and woodcutters can help you to modify your hand as needed in order to rid you of that pesky 9 if you don’t like/need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.