7 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diana Stanley ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I need a quick clarification regarding Diana's ability.

It is states in the card "If you would suffer 2 or more Horror, suffer 1 fewer Horror instead."

If for example I were to get in the Mythos phase an event that says "suffer 2 horror (Will negates)" does that mean that I would only need to have one success on the Will roll as I would be suffering one less Horror due to her ability or her ability would only apply after I had done the roll and determined the amount of successes?

In other words, is her ability working only after the check is done or as soon as it is announced that I am to suffer X amount of Horror?

Best regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe, she has to be physically taking horror before her ability activates. So when you are physically reaching for those horror cards to add to her, if she is taking two or more horror, you subtract that amount by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I *mostly* agree with Jamie, but disagree slightly on timing.

The act of drawing Damage/Horror from the deck is referred to as "claiming" the card. (Rulebook, page 7, "Damage & Horror"). So I would not use that interpretation.

Where I read it is in the Wounded/Insane sub-section. The total number of Horror applied to the character is referred to as the amount "suffered".

I would read RAW that you take your test, determine how many Horror you would claim, draw that number of cards, resolve the face-up text(s), and then you "suffer" that amount. If there are 2+ Horror, then the player can choose one of them to discard. Notably, they are still affected by the face-up effect before discarding, such as if told to draw an additional card. This makes it a nice ability to mitigate potentially crippling effects without being excessively powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dverning wrote:
I *mostly* agree with Jamie, but disagree slightly on timing.

The act of drawing Damage/Horror from the deck is referred to as "claiming" the card. (Rulebook, page 7, "Damage & Horror"). So I would not use that interpretation.

Where I read it is in the Wounded/Insane sub-section. The total number of Horror applied to the character is referred to as the amount "suffered".

I would read RAW that you take your test, determine how many Horror you would claim, draw that number of cards, resolve the face-up text(s), and then you "suffer" that amount. If there are 2+ Horror, then the player can choose one of them to discard. Notably, they are still affected by the face-up effect before discarding, such as if told to draw an additional card. This makes it a nice ability to mitigate potentially crippling effects without being excessively powerful.

For what it's worth, I disagree with this example. The rules are pretty clear on this.

Rules, page 7:

"When an effect causes an investigator to suffer Damage or Horror, he claims the top card of the Damage deck or Horror deck, respectively"

This makes it pretty clear that you claim the cards when you "suffer" the horror. Since her ability reduces the horror you "suffer" this would reduce the number of cards you draw when you "suffer" it. I believe your example is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Caldinhas
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Whataver the case is, I think you all agree that it does not affect the number of success you need to have when rolling dice to avoid Horror, am I right?

Her ability only comes into play after the Will negation (for example) has been resolved. Do you agree with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caldinhas wrote:
Whataver the case is, I think you all agree that it does not affect the number of success you need to have when rolling dice to avoid Horror, am I right?

Her ability only comes into play after the Will negation (for example) has been resolved. Do you agree with me?

Correct! Only happens after the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t vl
msg tools
mbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
This makes it pretty clear that you claim the cards when you "suffer" the horror. Since her ability reduces the horror you "suffer" this would reduce the number of cards you draw when you "suffer" it. I believe your example is incorrect.

Agreed.

Caldinhas wrote:

Agreed, for the reason stated above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.