Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have watched the Grogan video and the Heavy cardboard video

Why can't I wrap my head around these mechanics?

Why why why.

I have read and studied the rules and still can't wrap my head around this game. Yea I know its a complex Euro but really frustrated that I can't figure this one out.

Ok that's enough of this rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:

Why can't I wrap my head around these mechanics?

Why why why.

I have read and studied the rules and still can't wrap my head around this game. Yea I know its a complex Euro but really frustrated that I can't figure this one out.

Ok that's enough of this rant.

So do you have, like, some questions or something?

My suggestion would be to download the app and go through the tutorial. It is REALLY excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried actually playing out a couple turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
Have played through the a deck and several turns into the civ 1 deck

did a 3 player solo runthrough.

maybe just looking for suggestions as to..

How you learned to wrap your head around the secondary mechanics/rules???

It doesn't seem intuitive.

Very popular game and one I have had my eyes on for years. And found a relatively cheap copy on amazon...so pulled the trigger.

I understand the core mechanisms but just find the secondary rules a little much for what the game actually is...namely a complex Euro Civ builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:
Yes

Very popular game and one I have had my eyes on for years. And found a relatively cheap copy on amazon...so pulled the trigger.

I understand the core mechanisms but just find the secondary rules a little much for what the game actually is...namely a complex Euro Civ builder.

No idea what you consider "core mechanics" vs. "secondary rules." You need to ask specific questions.

Also, let me reiterate using the app's tutorial (if you have an appropriate device).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raué
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend playing with other players instead of solo to learn. When you see others doing well in areas try to catch up to them. While there are definitely some optimal play styles it's far more important to keep pace when you are learning the game. For example, if everyone has low science production that's fine, but if someone is producing +2 more than others the gap starts to widen.

The game also teaches you what's important. You might be struggling with happiness, actions, food, science, resources etc. Continuously ask yourself what your weakest area is and focus on that. Once you become better at the game you will start dealing with these issues ahead of time.

Play full games as the scoring and pacing is really only understood at the end of the game. Don't worry about playing optimally the first few games.

I also highly recommend the app as others have suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you having trouble with? Not sure what you consider "secondary mechanics/rules"... There are a lot of rules that's true. And then the strategy is a whole other thing after you get the rules down...

My general tips are to watch the videos you already watched and to play through the tutorial on the app. Then play games with other people learning the game, adhere to the rules carefully, and explore the game together. And play through to the end even in your learning games, so you can see how it all comes together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Langdale
United Kingdom
Hull
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey is the app good for learning if you have never played any of the board game before?

Regards

Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joelangdale7 wrote:
Hey is the app good for learning if you have never played any of the board game before?

Regards

Joe

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelangdale7 wrote:

Regards

Joe

The app was a christmas present for my brother.
We do not see each other very often as I live in germany and he lives in switzerland.
He doesn‘t play boardgames at all but I knew that he likes strategy games (with a historical touch).
Well, he has a very good time with the app was the last information given to me by his girlfriend. He probably had no time to answer me the last 2 days because he played the game ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:
Yes

This game is not intuitive, I give you that. There is a lot of stuff that happens behind the scenes. I actually do not recommend playing through the tutorial on the app, as it does things automatically that you may miss.

My suggestion would be setup a 3 player solo again, and play it while watching a how to play game. Take it a step at a time, and moving on once you understand the political phase, then the action phase, then clean up phase etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
buseyhead wrote:
Yes

This game is not intuitive, I give you that. There is a lot of stuff that happens behind the scenes. I actually do not recommend playing through the tutorial on the app, as it does things automatically that you may miss.

This is a good point, so I want to add a caveat to my recommendation of using the app's tutorial to learn the game:

The app does a great job of teaching you the mechanics of the game.
It does NOT do a good job of teaching you all the set-up and fiddly maintenance stuff you need to do when playing face to face, since it handles all that in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
buseyhead wrote:

"The Grogan video"?

You mean "The Gaming Rules! video with Paul Grogan"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
buseyhead wrote:

"The Grogan video"?

You mean "The Gaming Rules! video with Paul Grogan"

You just got "The Grogan Correction."

EDIT: Sorry, I mean "The Video Title Correction with Paul Grogan."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
What's weird is that this is the second time today one of my videos has been called this.
Over on a FB group, people are talking about Lisboa, and someone said "I've watched the Grogan video".
What is a little demoralising there though is despite the Lisboa video being the official video for the game, with my company logo on the back of the box and a link to the video there, people are saying they didn't know I did one and watching other people's instead. Now, I have no problem with people watching other videos, but when I'm commissioned to create the official one, which is 100% accurate and linked to in the game itself, to find that people don't even know it existed is a little disappointing
Time to sack the current marketing manager (me)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can lead a horse to water etc etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.