Hide
3 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using the chainsaw in the colony? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex M
msg tools
I have seen this being discussed already, but I did not find a definitive answer to this question.
The chainsaw card says, that you have to leave a noise token on the location you use it. But the colony has no place for noise tokens.
Does that mean you cannot use it in the colony? Because from a logical point of view, that would not make much sense. Why should a character not be able to use the chainsaw in the colony?
Or can you use it in the colony and remove a noise token anyway but instead of putting it on the colony you just put it out of the game? That would make sense, but on the other hand, it might make the chainsaw to powerful to use in the colony?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you provide the card text?
As far as I remember the chainsaw can only be used if there are spaces for noise tokens. As there are 0 spaces for noise tokens it cannot be used at the colony. Thematically you could say that it would be foolhardy to use such a noisy tool at the colony (although this is obviously inconsistent with other items). Both the DoW games have thematic anomalies that one must overlook (search cards going to hand and being immediately equip-able elsewhere for example), and I'm sure you could houserule it to stop it being overpowered (noise attracts Zs to the colony as elsewhere) but RAW would suggest can't be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedVIII wrote:
I have seen this being discussed already, but I did not find a definitive answer to this question.
The chainsaw card says, that you have to leave a noise token on the location you use it. But the colony has no place for noise tokens.
Does that mean you cannot use it in the colony? Because from a logical point of view, that would not make much sense. Why should a character not be able to use the chainsaw in the colony?
Or can you use it in the colony and remove a noise token anyway but instead of putting it on the colony you just put it out of the game? That would make sense, but on the other hand, it might make the chainsaw to powerful to use in the colony?

Unless the item card specifies otherwise, you can use any noise-generating item at the colony. See the Shotgun, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.