9 Posts

Aeon's End» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on market drafting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Berg
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm relatively new to the game, currently getting familiar with the mages and nemesis (base + WE) by playing once against each, solo two-handed.

For my first games I used the randomizer to create the market, but I've found that this often leads to frustrating games with bad card synergies, where it feels like I never had a chance in the first place.

I decided to try some kind of drafting method, and since then my enjoyment of the game has been vastly improved (my top solo game atm next to mage knight).

I know there are plenty of ways to draft the market, and I'm really interested to hear about other drafting methods than my own, which is still in the research phase. I currently sort the randomizer deck by type, then reveal one card from each and choose one to keep. Repeat until market is full. Chosen cards can't be replaced. It works ok, but it ain't perfect either.

Being able to influence the market setup is great, but I don't want to handpick every card either. It feels a bit like cheating to me. Maybe I'm wrong though, seeing how brutal this game can be.

The game has certainly grown on me, especially as a solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen posts about online market randomizers here on bgg.. look for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K M
msg tools
We usually use the online randomizer and repeat it until we get something that looks somewhat balanced (doesn't have to be perfect). From there, each player gets ONE free veto/swap for any card they want - no questions asked by the rest of the group. We feel this gives us a balance of cards that synergize well with their mages and also different cards for us to play with each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
cajuntechie wrote:
I've seen posts about online market randomizers here on bgg.. look for that.

Official and coded by the designer.

As for me, I shuffle the randomizer cards and play anything that has a gem costing 5 max.
If I don't get such a gem, I redraw the last card until I do.

Usually it gives something crazy.
Usually it's not unwinnable, and it's exciting, and it makes me try cards I would never have!
I pull out wins, even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Berg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I used the official one in the beginning, blindly setting up and playing the suggested market. This, combined with limited experience resulted in some terrible sessions, which made me doubt the game.

I can see it working much better if allowing some adjustments beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean itsasecret
United States
California
flag msg tools
I wouldn't randomize unless your looking to increase the difficulty of your games or after several plays, find yourself using the same favorite cards all the time. But at that point you should be more familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
irveline wrote:
I wouldn't randomize unless your looking to increase the difficulty of your games or after several plays, find yourself using the same favorite cards all the time. But at that point you should be more familiar with the game.

As long as you:
1. Randomize the supply piles
2. Select a Nemesis yourself
3. Select breach mages accordingly

You should really be fine. Sure, you'll lose. But you won't put yourself in an unwinnable situation.
I mostly play my favourite 4 mages all over again so that should work for the OP too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Wiersma
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
We usually draw 4 gems, 3 relics, and 7 spells from the randomizer decks. We then select 9 of those to make the market. (generally 3, 2, and 4 respectively of each type) Similarly to your drafting this makes the market somewhat random, but we can still create some synergies.

When we did the "hard" mode of Rageborn and Carapace Queen recently, we selected 1 gem, relic, and spell, and did the rest similarly as above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Pankiewicz

California
msg tools
What we do is sort the gems into cost groups, 2-3 cost go in one pile and 4 and up go into another. We then pull one from the cheaper gem pile and one from the more expensive pile. Then we combine the remaining gems and pull one more. This helps ensure we don't get gem blocked at the beginning, which usually means we lose quickly, but we also have gems we can invest in. With relics sometimes we do it completely random, sometimes we both just pick one(we are only two players.). I don't think relics are required for winning, but each does open up new strategies, so I don't mind if they are random. For spells, we do similar to gems, splitting them up into cost piles. For it we do a pile of 3, a pile of 4-5, and a pile for above 5. We have War Eternal as well, but you may have to try different piles if you have only the first set. We then draw one from each, combine the remaining, and draw one more.

We have come to enjoy this way because we don't feel like we are hand-picking to give ourselves and advantage, but we also get a wide range of cost values to ensure we don't get stuck somewhere in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.