7 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Embassy rule clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meaf Meaf
msg tools
Hi,

Played my first game of CiV a new dawn yesterday and something that confused us was how embassys work. When you trade capital to capital with an embassy the rule is to take 1 resource and give one trade token. Does this eliminate the standard 2 trade tokens that you gain from trading with a rival city or is it one resource plus 2 trade tokens?

For us it didnt make sense to gain 2 tokens + 1 resource in one go. But at the same time, this also makes the embassy card pretty useless since 2 trade tokens = 1 resource production wise.

Also, if you have upgraded your economy card, can you send all 2 (or 3) caravans into the same capital in one go to gain the embassy effect times 2 (3)?

Thankful for insights in this!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Meaf wrote:
Hi,

Played my first game of CiV a new dawn yesterday and something that confused us was how embassys work. When you trade capital to capital with an embassy the rule is to take 1 resource and give one trade token. Does this eliminate the standard 2 trade tokens that you gain from trading with a rival city or is it one resource plus 2 trade tokens?

For us it didnt make sense to gain 2 tokens + 1 resource in one go. But at the same time, this also makes the embassy card pretty useless since 2 trade tokens = 1 resource production wise.

Also, if you have upgraded your economy card, can you send all 2 (or 3) caravans into the same capital in one go to gain the embassy effect times 2 (3)?

Embassy bonuses are in addition to the regular trade bonuses.

As to your other question, it's answered in the rules: you can only ever send one caravan to any destination, be it a City-State or rival city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaf Meaf
msg tools
Jedit wrote:
Meaf wrote:
Hi,

As to your other question, it's answered in the rules: you can only ever send one caravan to any destination, be it a City-State or rival city.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The open questions I have on Embassy:

- Embassy: Can you place a token on an opponent’s card that already has 3 tokens, thereby having it "immediately return to the supply"?

- Embassy: This works on the turn you take the Embassy card. Does it also work on a turn during which you visit the same player's Capital, but change to a different card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
The open questions I have on Embassy:

- Embassy: Can you place a token on an opponent’s card that already has 3 tokens, thereby having it "immediately return to the supply"?

1. I don't think you could as it states in the rules "A focus card cannot have more than 3 trade tokens on it" Since there is already 3 on it you are prevented from even placing a 4th.

I believe the second part of the rule "Trade tokens in excess of 3 are immediately returned to the supply" is in there for when you trade with a city state and have to place the two tokens on a specific card when 2 tokens are already on the card as both new tokens are being placed at the same time.

LemonyFresh wrote:

- Embassy: This works on the turn you take the Embassy card. Does it also work on a turn during which you visit the same player's Capital, but change to a different card?

2. I think it would since the only condition is that you move a caravan to that players capital. The gaining of trade tokens and diplomacy cards from a rival city in the rule book also uses the same condition. So as long as the player resolves the Embassy card before resolving the economy action it can be done. There are no rules about the timing so I believe it is left to the player to resolve in the order they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your guesses are consistent with mine. Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Jedit wrote:
Meaf wrote:
Hi,

To be clear, each city or city-state can only be visited once each action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.