Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So under Overview of the Game - Start - it says;

"Before starting to play, each player purchases a steamship from the ship market in anti-clockwise order and deploys it."

? Is that starting with the start player?

Under Game Setup 7;

"The headquarters (10) at the bottom, followed by stack numbers 9-1 in descending order."

? Are the individually numbered stacks randomized, or should they be in a chronological or reverse chronological order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Thunarf
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, I would have accepted the leprosy alone; but not leprosy and eroticism together, oh no, for the love of God, erotic leprosy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle each numbered set (1–10) of five ships/HQs separately and stack them on top of each other with the HQs (#10) at the bottom, set #9 on top of them and so on with set #1 on the very top of the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Thunarf
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, I would have accepted the leprosy alone; but not leprosy and eroticism together, oh no, for the love of God, erotic leprosy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with the last player, so that the starting player buys his/her first steamship last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diminuendo wrote:
Starting with the last player, so that the starting player buys his/her first steamship last.

I did think this originally, but having played it, I'm not so sure. As starting player, I got the option to pick up an Era 2 ship and that seems like a bit of an advantage. I'd like to hear a few more opinions on this, especially from people who have played more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The logic of it seems to me that - assuming a game is played clockwise - that anything that occurs in anticlockwise order must start with the last player. In a four-player game your options for "anticlockwise" are:

Option A: 4-3-2-1 (start with last player)

or

Option B: 1-4-3-2 (start with first player)

Option B just seems plain crazy to me as it says that the first and last players are most closely advantaged/disadvantaged. That's a very unusual positional advantage/disadvantage.

To speak to Sandals's point: it seems to me that the advantage of buying a Era 2 ship may be a bit 2-edged because, while it may have a better return when using Transport, the (potentially) greater cost of Era 2 ships eats into money for Trading Posts/Coal Bunkers and may delay your ability to use Shipyard for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to the order of selection point - When picking initial ships you don't refill the market until everyone has their first ship, so noone should have an era 2 ship after setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Just to add to the order of selection point - When picking initial ships you don't refill the market until everyone has their first ship, so noone should have an era 2 ship after setup.
There are six ships in the market and only 5 ships for each era (fewer if you play with less than 4 players). This means that there must be at least one Era 2 ship in the market during setup. (Of course I'm ignoring any issues of affordability here.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
When picking initial ships you don't refill the market until everyone has their first ship

Can you point me to the bit in the rules that says this? On the setup sheet it says that "The market is replenished after each purchase, but without a ship entering the docks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:
There are six ships in the market and only 5 ships for each era (fewer if you play with less than 4 players). This means that there must be at least one Era 2 ship in the market during setup. (Of course I'm ignoring any issues of affordability here.)

Ah, I totally missed that. I got through our entire first fame thinking there were 6 of each ^^.

I guess it it becomes a problem it's little harm to only draw the first 5 for setup ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
obenn wrote:
Smoothsmith wrote:
When picking initial ships you don't refill the market until everyone has their first ship

Can you point me to the bit in the rules that says this? On the setup sheet it says that "The market is replenished after each purchase, but without a ship entering the docks."
Wow! I missed that! You're right, it's totally bogus. Here's the section from the setup guide on the initial purchase of Steamships
Quote:
8. Steamships
Before starting to play, each player purchases a steamship from the ship market. The market is replenished
after each purchase, but without a ship entering the docks.
Each player deploys his steamship (together
with a captain and 1 coal) in the region which contains the sailing ship of the player to his left. Finally, the
starting player begins the game by playing his first action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.