Dice Throne: Season One» Forums » Rules

Subject: ultimate ability clarification + fire mastery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lel dude
msg tools
im having trouble understanding the ultimate ability description

for example assuming this is a 3 player game:
1) I successfully activate barbarian's ultimate which deals 15 dmg and stuns.

2) i roll a dice for targeting roll phase, resulting in player A being targeted

3) Could player A play a dice manipulation card' to force me to reroll the targeting roll phase in hopes of targeting player B? does player A skip every action after targeting roll phase (defensive ability, chi, evasive, cards) and is forced to sustain the 15 dmg + stun?

For reference's sake, this is the full description of the ultimate ability: Dice may be altered to prevent an ultimate from successfully activating. otherwise, no action of any kind (defense, cards, status effects, etc) may be performed by any opponent until the ability fully completes (targeting & defensive roll phases). The effects of an ultimate may be enhanced, but cannot be prevented or reduced.

Also, what is meant to 'cool off' of fire mastery during upkeep phase? for example I cast fireball on turn 1 and gain 1 fire mastery. On turn 2, I 'cool off' and discard 1 fire mastery token. What was the point of getting the fire mastery token on turn 1 if im forced to discard it before I get to use it? how many tokens should be discarded during 'cool off', is it always only 1 or all fire mastery token accumulated during the previous turn?

Thanks for clarifying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1- In a multiplayer game, the targeting roll happens before anyone has officially been hit. The ultimate has NOT hit anyone yet because targeting must conclude before the opponent receives damage and effects.

So, anyone can play dice to mess with the targeting die.

2- If you spend the whole game gaining 1 fire mastery per turn, fire mastery might not be a great game plan.
But there are multiple abilities that allow you to add damage to the attack when you gain Fire mastery. The basic attack does not. It's your choice as to how to play with her fire mastery. There are cards that add damage per fire mastery.

When you cool off you lose 1 fire mastery. The only time you clear ALL of your fire mastery at once is for combustion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lel dude
msg tools
>no action of any kind (defense, cards, status effects, etc) may be performed by any opponent until the ability fully completes (targeting & defensive roll phases)

>So, anyone can play dice to mess with the targeting die.

thanks for the answer. from my understanding, your explanation seems differ from the rulebook?

also, can a player activate defensive rolls to mitigate ultimate damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Trembley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You do not get a defensive roll phase when an ultimate is activated so no defense is made.

On page 5 of the rules, it states-

"Dice may be altered to prevent an Ultimate from successfully activating. Otherwise, no action of any kind (defense, cards, status effects, etc) may be performed by any opponent until the ability fully completes (this applies to both the Targeting & Defensive Roll Phases). The effects of an Ultimate may be enhanced, but they cannot be prevented or reduced."

And then, "If there are more than 2 players and the ability activated during the Offensive Roll Phase requires a target, then a single die must be rolled in order to determine that target."

That targeting roll happens after the ultimate ability completes.

I can see where the "applies to both the targeting..." would make that confusing. That should be more clear.

Because targeting is necessary for multiplayer (free-for-all being the only one that matters here), that die is something that can be messed with as that targeting die does not prevent or defend any of the ultimate.

Great question and that helps us catch little things that will help us make DT even better.

If that was not your rules concern, it at least gave me great food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lel dude
msg tools
this is excellent, you read my mind and understood me perfectly. thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
mannyt wrote:

"Dice may be altered to prevent an Ultimate from successfully activating. Otherwise, no action of any kind (defense, cards, status effects, etc) may be performed by any opponent until the ability fully completes (this applies to both the Targeting & Defensive Roll Phases). The effects of an Ultimate may be enhanced, but they cannot be prevented or reduced."

Still not clear if the Defense roll Phase activates. I think it does since on page 4 it states that “if your opponent deals damage [...] then your defensive ability activates...”

Page 4 and 5 seem to contradict each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beejer2000 wrote:
mannyt wrote:

Still not clear if the Defense roll Phase activates. I think it does since on page 4 it states that “if your opponent deals damage [...] then your defensive ability activates...”

Page 4 and 5 seem to contradict each other?
No, they don't, and Manny quoted the passage that establishes that.
Quote:
Otherwise, no action of any kind (defense, cards, status effects, etc) may be performed by any opponent until the ability fully completes (this applies to both the Targeting & Defensive Roll Phases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.