Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: Camp, shelter and roof question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tieme Vermeesch
Belgium
flag msg tools
The following questions came up during my first play:

During the first night phase i moved my camp to an island tile with a natural shelter. In the subsequent round, can i:

1. Build the regular shelter and roof (to level 1) during the same action phase because of the fact that the camp is on a tile with a natural shelter

2. Can i move the shelter and built roof (level 1) to another island tile in the following night phase?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
I don't have the rule book in front of me but I believe
1) You would have to build your shelter with a first build action and then add the roof as a second build action - but this can be done the same day.
2) You cannot take a tile's natural shelter to another tile - thematically it's probably a cave!
Hopefully others will confirm - I answered how I play it as you have no other answers but I'm quite confident I am right.
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FPV
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. With the natural shelter, flip the camp token to the shelter side for free. You are now able to build a level 1 roof.

2. Since it's a natural shelter and not an actual "built" shelter, moving it would force you to flip the shelter token back to the camp side, unless the tile you are moving to also had a natural shelter icon. If so, I would think you could keep the level 1 roof.

But what if the tile didn't have a natural shelter? Could you keep the roof? I'm not sure. I would guess affirmative.

EDIT: Reading Ian's #1 above. So, even with a natural shelter, I have to do a build action to build the shelter? If so, oh oh. I've been playing wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieme Vermeesch
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately it i'm still in doubt due to the rules. The rules (new edition) state the following:

shelter:
- As soon as the Shelter has been built, and only then, the Camp token is flipped to
the Shelter side

- Once the Shelter has been built, it cannot be lost, even if the camp is moved
onto a different Island tile. To indicate this, place a black marker in the Shelter
space on the game board. This does not apply to a temporary shelter found on an
Island tile.

roof and shelter:
- Both can only be built when a Shelter (natural or
constructed) is present

explore:
-Some Island tiles offer a natural shelter. This works just like a normally built
shelter, but the Camp token is not flipped to the Shelter side. A Roof and
Palisade can also be built with a natural shelter, but unless a normal shelter
was also built there, if the camp is moved, the entire Roof and Palisade is lost
instead of just half.

moving camp:
- During the Night Phase, you can move the camp to another Island tile
(even if all characters spend the night outside the camp). If you choose to
do so and have built the Shelter, it is retained, but you must reduce the
Roof and Palisade level by half (rounding up the result).
If you have not built the Shelter and are leaving a natural shelter, the Roof
and Palisade level are reduced to 0. This is also true when moving from one
natural shelter to another.

based on the above rules i would assume that:

1. i'm able to build the regular shelter (on the island tile with the natural shelter) and the roof in the same round (due to the fact that i'm on a place with a natural shelter. It seems that you're right, Ian.

2. it was my intention to move the regular shelter from the island tile with a natural shelter to a island tile without a natural shelter. based on the above i would assume that i can retain the roof level of 1? however this seems a bit strange, because i was able to build it due to the natural shelter.

I'll explain what happened in detail:
- round 1 action fase: i explored and found an island tile with natural shelter.
- round 1 night fase: i moved the camp token (shelter was not yet built) to the island tile with the natural shelter.
- round 2 action fase: i built the regular shelter on the island tile with the natural shelter + i upgraded the roof due to the fact that there was a natural shelter on the space.
- round 2 night fase: i moved the regular shelter to an newly discovered island tile without a natural shelter. I kept the level 1 roof because of the rules 'moving camp'.

did i play it wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vae victis1 wrote:
During the first night phase i moved my camp to an island tile with a natural shelter. In the subsequent round, can i: 1. Build the regular shelter and roof (to level 1) during the same action phase because of the fact that the camp is on a tile with a natural shelter?
This is tricky. Because you were already on the tile since last turn.
4th Edition Rulebook Page 17 wrote:
If the camp has a Shelter (natural or constructed), the Roof and/or Palisade can be built starting in the following round.
Emphasis mine. This would mean that, because you built your Shelter this round, you could not build the Roof/Palisade this round. But the thing is: you already were at a natural shelter since last round. So this is confusing. I'd say that you could build Roof/Palisade that round, but should treat it as belonging to the natural shelter and not your built Shelter. But this wouldn't make sense, because next round, if you'd want to build Roof/Palisade for your built shelter, how would this work? 2 different Roof/Palisade levels? Hum... Intriguing.

vae victis1 wrote:
2. Can i move the shelter and built roof (level 1) to another island tile in the following night phase?
Do you mean the tile's natural shelter? If you do then no, you can not move a natural shelter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, you can.
2) If you already built the proper shelter and the roof level 1 on the tile with the natural shelter, you can move the shelter and roof.
Thematically the way it works, you lift the built roof from the natural cave and carefully place it on the movable shelter you built.

If you haven't built the shelter, you can't move the shelter/roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vae victis1 wrote:
- round 2 action fase: i built the regular shelter on the island tile with the natural shelter + i upgraded the roof due to the fact that there was a natural shelter on the space.
would like to know if this Roof is considered to belong to your built Shelter now. If it is, then you can move it. But nothing in the rules addresses this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub K.
Poland
Bydgoszcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polish rules clearly state that if have natural shelter with roof and/or palisade their levels would go back to 0 if you build the regular Shelter.

This would mean that you can't really build the Shelter and a roof for natural shelter on the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vae victis1 wrote:
Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately it i'm still in doubt due to the rules. The rules (new edition) state the following:

shelter:
- As soon as the Shelter has been built, and only then, the Camp token is flipped to
the Shelter side

- Once the Shelter has been built, it cannot be lost, even if the camp is moved
onto a different Island tile. To indicate this, place a black marker in the Shelter
space on the game board. This does not apply to a temporary shelter found on an
Island tile.

roof and shelter:
- Both can only be built when a Shelter (natural or
constructed) is present

explore:
-Some Island tiles offer a natural shelter. This works just like a normally built
shelter, but the Camp token is not flipped to the Shelter side. A Roof and
Palisade can also be built with a natural shelter, but unless a normal shelter
was also built there, if the camp is moved, the entire Roof and Palisade is lost
instead of just half.

moving camp:
- During the Night Phase, you can move the camp to another Island tile
(even if all characters spend the night outside the camp). If you choose to
do so and have built the Shelter, it is retained, but you must reduce the
Roof and Palisade level by half (rounding up the result).
If you have not built the Shelter and are leaving a natural shelter, the Roof
and Palisade level are reduced to 0. This is also true when moving from one
natural shelter to another.

based on the above rules i would assume that:

1. i'm able to build the regular shelter (on the island tile with the natural shelter) and the roof in the same round (due to the fact that i'm on a place with a natural shelter. It seems that you're right, Ian.

2. it was my intention to move the regular shelter from the island tile with a natural shelter to a island tile without a natural shelter. based on the above i would assume that i can retain the roof level of 1? however this seems a bit strange, because i was able to build it due to the natural shelter.

I'll explain what happened in detail:
- round 1 action fase: i explored and found an island tile with natural shelter.
- round 1 night fase: i moved the camp token (shelter was not yet built) to the island tile with the natural shelter.
- round 2 night fase: i moved the regular shelter to an newly discovered island tile without a natural shelter. I kept the level 1 roof because of the rules 'moving camp'.

did i play it wrong?

I think you played it wrong.

The intent of the rules concerning building roof/palisade level timing is that the shelter (built or natural) needs to exist at least 1 round before building its dedicated roof level.(emphasis mine)
So when you moved to the natural camp shelter tile, you then built the roof level 1 but for the natural shelter (because the built shelter has not been built yet, so you cannot build the roof for the built shelter which is not yet existing).
Then, when you leave the natural shelter by moving camp/built shelter to another tile, the roof level (from the natural shelter) goes back to 0, as per the rules, you left it...

So to sum things up, you can build a shelter onto a natural shelter tile. If you build the roof level + the shelter (in the same round) onto a natural shelter tile, it is the natural shelter roof level that increases to 1. If you then decide to move your camp (built shelter) to another tile, you leave the natural shelter and its built roof, so your roof level comes back to 0, and you end up with the built shelter onto your new tile, with no roof

Hope this is clearer, do not hesitate if you have other questions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see this addressed: what if you're moving from one natural shelter to another natural shelter? Do you keep your roof level or reset it to zero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colcakes196 wrote:
I didn't see this addressed: what if you're moving from one natural shelter to another natural shelter? Do you keep your roof level or reset it to zero?

Rulebook Page 23, Moving The Camp wrote:
If you have not built the Shelter and are leaving a natural shelter, the Roof and Palisade level are reduced to 0. This is also true when moving from one natural shelter to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.