Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve read up and I still don’t know. Presumably if someone has played it extensively, then trying to “un-play” it is going to be pretty tough right? You could put things back in the boxes with a proper guide, but you probably couldn’t easily take the stickers off the board and cards if the original player didn’t do something to make that easier right?

Is the answer 0? I don’t know.

One data point though is I saw one with 25 missions complete go for $80 or so. So maybe not nothing unless someone was buying it for parts. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I missed out on one locally (seattle)....$149 still in shrink wrap

I was actually bummed over this....I never get caught up in hype, but I was actually bummed out wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn R.
msg tools
The answer is definitely not zero. While the stickers are part of the game, it is actually very easy to play the campaign without using the stickers and mapboard - simply use one of the online campaign trackers to emulate the map for a new party.

The more difficult part are the cards, which permanently get modified by the stickers, but this happens infrequently (permanent card enhancements are expensive) and the stickers are clearly distinguishable from the rest of the card and if you are careful, you can peel them off.

If all components are present and in near-mint condition, then 80$ is a steal for a used Gloomhaven box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rossi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Don't forget that Sinister Fish put out those removable stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it could be worth near full price given that you can buy a recharge pack to clear the slate which costs $8. Just like any other game it would be based on how well used the game is.

The seller would be best to ensure everything is returned to the right box and sealed up like new. I don't think that the stickers on the board are spoilers and thus can easily be dealt with just like the prosperity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
The recharge pack doesn't work if the person used the original stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check how they handled card removal. Most people just put them back in the box, but the icon to permanently remove a card actually shows it being ripped, and I know some people took that literally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio Briosi
Italy
Rovereto
Rovereto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from checking they didn't mishandle card removal and destroyed cards (it is not how the game should be played), the other point are stickers and map.

For the map (and scenario chest tracking), it doesn't play a big part on the actual gameplay, is just a fancy way of tracking scenario availability and prosperity. You can play just as well with a "Tracking sheet" from the file section, or get the reusable stickers and print out the map.

For the stickers on the cards: if they used the removable ones, you can simply detach them and play normally, otherwise you have to accept they will be part of your game. This is heavily based on how much enchanting the previous owner did, I for example didn't use it until 30+ scenario in, and just on a few cards given the cost and the ratio of retirements.

Those stickers never make your character weaker, but the decision of what to enchant, and in which way vary from person to person. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it may be something you will have done differently.

Overall I think the value of a used copy is still high, with the removal stickers you have the whole game, the only part to take into account for the gameplay is the stickers on the cards (enchanting).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mb
I say it's worth nothing, except for parts of someone really wanted them for some reason. Assuming the game was played as intended:

1. The"recharge" pack can't be used in a copy that was already played

2. Some cards are ripped up or otherwise disposed of after resolving, so those will be missing.

3. Ability decks will have stickers all over them, which are difficult (or impossible) to remove without ruining the card.

The only way it could be resold is if the owner only played a few (like less then five) games before deciding they didn't want it, or if they used the "recharge pack" from the start and saved every "rip up" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
inconsiderate wrote:
I say it's worth nothing, except for parts of someone really wanted them for some reason. Assuming the game was played as intended:

1. The"recharge" pack can't be used in a copy that was already played

2. Some cards are ripped up or otherwise disposed of after resolving, so those will be missing.

3. Ability decks will have stickers all over them, which are difficult (or impossible) to remove without ruining the card.

The only way it could be resold is if the owner only played a few (like less then five) games before deciding they didn't want it, or if they used the "recharge pack" from the start and saved every "rip up" card.

2. The rules never actually say to rip up these cards, only to "remove them from the game". Sure, some people may choose to interpret the "remove from game" icon literally, but I'd bet most people just take those cards and put them in an envelope or baggie marked "removed from the game" or "trash" (perhaps with those 4 blank standees in the same place)

3. ALL over them? you must be making alot more gold than I have. ability enhancement is expensive.

It is actually fairly easy to play the game in such a manner as to best preserve the ability to "reset" (either for the purposes of reselling, or just to be able to start fresh). The only truly tricky parts are the ability enhancements, but those can be fixed by putting the enhancement stickers on card sleeves instead of the cards themselves

of course, breaking the seals on new boxes/envelopes takes away the "pristine" nature of the game for future owners/plays, but that can be fixed by the "recharge" pack, or just taping them back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps we should split the question between games that the player intended to be able to reset and those who did not.

The particular set in question is up to $88 plus postage and doesn’t actually say whether there are any stickers on anything but the board (but doesn’t say that either). Also doesn’t say if he tore anything up, but those are all valid considerations. He claimed to have completed 15-20 missions.

It might also be different for people who have played vs. not played. Presumably you could have played someone else’s copy and thus maybe you’d be more knowledgeable on how to reset things without a lot of effort given that the original owner may not have intended to do so?

So if you buy it and intend to resell, you could use the sleeve thing and use the stickers that peel off and then put things back in their original envelopes. Under THOSE conditions the value would probably be more? But if not, then might you not need some extra savvy to try to do some kind of makeshift reset?

I think it’s an interesting question obviously. In general, I wouldn’t buy a normal legacy game used (Risk legacy for instance) because the implication would be that the fun is mostly extracted by that point. The only thing that makes a difference here might be the amount of “hours” still in the game — but that presumes you can ‘continue’ where the player left off, OR you can do some kind of reset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn R.
msg tools
If all components are present, regardless of stickers, you will always be able to play the game from the beginning and experience it fully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GenesisLayana wrote:
If all components are present, regardless of stickers, you will always be able to play the game from the beginning and experience it fully.

Yep. The map being marked up is inconsequential. It's kind of a nice element to the game but was fairly unnecessary imo. I'm using the map and stickers for one campaign but tracking everything for other campaigns, it doesn't really change the experience either way.

Stickers on class cards is not a huge problem either. The buyer has a few choices: just play with the enhancements as is. You can still play through the game. It may make a few card additions harder (I really want card A, but card B has as sticker on it), and the difficulty may be a little easier than intended. You can scale the difficulty up or not. It's annoying but the fundamentals are still there. And when you get enhancements you can enhance even more.

The other option is to ignore the stickers and not use them. You can ignore enhancements completely, or just keep track some other way (sharpie on sleeves etc) Again, they aren't necessary to the game. More meaningful than the map, but still not necessary. I'd drop the value 10$ or so from whatever it otherwise would be based on how many of the cards had enhancement stickers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bax bunny
Canada
flag msg tools
Would you be able to "cover" the permanent stickers with another blank sticker or like a white label or something before you start playing. Then buy the removable sticker pack, and use those stickers for your new game? Or do the stickers used in the first game cover up things that change the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You totally could. The stickers only go in designated "enhancement" spots, which are already marked on the card (and cover nothing), so adding a blank sticker over top would just show even more clearly where the enhancement could be added. Whether you'd dislike the suggestion of where the previous owner put their enhancements could affect how you do this (for example, you could cover ALL enhancement spots with stickers). The shape of enhancements varies slightly, but all are close to the same size - so this method likely wouldn't cause a great deal of aesthetic loss either - though unless you print stickers colour-matched to the original cards, it WILL be quite noticeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Doing this on the map would make the map less attractive, for sure. But that might not be a big deal since you can use campaign tracking apps for the map and you don't really spend all that much time looking at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - key questions are the cards
- did they keep the "remove" cards intact
- did they use stickers on the cards ? (it is expensive to do so, but after 15-20 missions, it's possible it has happened)

Everything else you can kind of get around by using the customizable PDF - even if they sticker'd the board. You can ignore those stickers and just use your PDF.

Other possibility - CONTINUE in their version of the world! Keep the stickers as is. It's probably not so bad this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
mb
If you sell an open box game that is complete, most dealers will pay about 20% and sell it for around 60%.

Assuming the game is totally unused, just open boxed (like new), I think 60% is a reasonable price to pay for a game that you intend to play.

If it has stickers placed on the cards, I would say 40%. You can generally ignore the stickers.

If it is missing anything or the cards are well used, drop that price another 20%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.