Subject: Advice needed (solo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Would you buy this specifically for solo play? My gaming group wouldn’t be into it so I just wondered if this is a good purchase for just me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer, no.

I have it, played it a few times solo, but this is not a solo game.
It would be like buying the Dungeons & Dragon Books to run a campaign solo. Can it be done...yes, is D&D the optimal system to have this experience...short answer no.
There are plenty solo sci-fi games.

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Ok cool. Good advice thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some good advice. Battlestations does play well solo but really shines when you have a crew of friends.

Don't ignore the solo rules, though. It can be great to use them if nobody wants to be the Enemy player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buschenfeld wrote:
Would you buy this specifically for solo play? My gaming group wouldn’t be into it so I just wondered if this is a good purchase for just me!

Others have said this, but I'd definitely say no.

This game crosses that gap between a traditional board game and an RPG. RPG's don't play well solo (With the exception of choose your own adventure games like Tunnels and Trolls by Flying buffalo.

I think if you are looking for space adventure games out there that play solo, there are probably better games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mohnkern wrote:
I think if you are looking for space adventure games out there that play solo, there are probably better games out there.

I thought that too, but then couldn't find any. Battlestations is unique in that it's got both ship combat and individual actions at the same time, with sufficient detail in both areas to make it immersive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically the scenarios could have been prepared for the solo game, but they are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sofge wrote:
mohnkern wrote:

I thought that too, but then couldn't find any. Battlestations is unique in that it's got both ship combat and individual actions at the same time, with sufficient detail in both areas to make it immersive.

Destiny Aurora Renegades.
Each scenario (and they are played within a campaign) has two boards (planetary & space) and you have to split your crew who take individual actions. Characters have double-sided cards, one side with their space skills, the other planet-side. Also an AI system for solo play.

That being said, I'm still learning the game and haven't a firm opinion yet, other than the rules are a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy bush

London
London
msg tools
mb
Ok cool cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations characters are aboard the ships, so the two scales affect each other -- if you want a ship to turn, you move your character to the bridge and do a character-scale action to turn the ship-scale counter.

Destiny Aurora Renegades's approach of having two scales happening at the same time is interesting, but I've seen it before in Star Trek: Expeditions and Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit, just off the top of my head.

For more on this, I chronicled my quest for a "live" spaceship game here: This Spaceship Actually Works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.