Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Fallout» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fallout the Board Game: Schizophrenic Adventure Gaming in the Wasteland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. Lemos
msg tools
Long time gamer, first-time reviewer.

As a lover of the video games, I picked up Fallout the Board Game when it first came out. So far, I’ve played three two-player games (with my son) and a four-player game with some friends.

The Good
Overall, the game has been fun. The choose-your-own adventure element make the game very fun, especially for my 12 y.o. son. He will always remember when he helped a lady with a cat, and she gave him the sniper rifle he had been eying at the store. Wandering around the wasteland and exploring the story is a great deal of fun.

Overall, the character mechanics are great. I like the XP system, and the re-roll mechanic. The VATS dice are also good, although I frequently wish there were more than 6 sides — mainly for more variability.

The Bad
The game can really bog down. So far, we have only finished one game out of the four attempts at playing. Each game ended after a couple of hours due to needing to clear the table. The only time we finished it was when we left it out over a couple of days and played it 30 minutes at a time. The game actually works well when played that way.

Also, after four plays and two different scenarios, I feel that the game is going to suffer from too much familiarity with the starting wasteland and settlement encounters. I think FFG should release a different set of encounters for each scenario, not just staging a quest card or two.

The Ugly
Overall, the hidden objectives (agendas) are good, but — as others have pointed out — random. In the future, it will require a house rule to fix, such as:
* (Easiest fix; shorter game) Dealing out three agendas to each player and have them pick one (or possibly two) to start, or
* (Competitive fix; longer game) Divvying out the Security/Freedom cards so there are one per player, and then handing those out to the players (and possibly removing the rest from the deck).
The one time we finished the game was when the two players both had the same cards (two security each) and so ran up the total, making each worth 4 points.

Two Personalities, One Game
The biggest problem with the game is that it has two distinct personalities: One as an adventure game, where each player wanders the wasteland and tries to collect a good kit, and another as a strategic game, where you are trying to support one faction over another. We would frequently get so caught up in the adventure game, that we would not pay much attention to the strategic game. A group that was more focused on winning the strategic game might be able to cut the length of the game down.

The Verdict (7/10)
Overall, the game is fun. For anyone who loves the video game, I think it is a worthwhile addition to your gaming shelf. However, I also feel that enjoying the adventure game will usually come at the expense of the strategic game, and that the two games exist uneasily with each other during play.

A Suggestion for FFG
These days, a path to consider with any adventure type game is to go the legacy route. I think that Fallout would be a better adventure game if it went in that direction. Or, perhaps more interestingly, FFG could create a legacy-expansion that would allow the players to play the legacy game, but also keep playing the original game. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wastrel12 wrote:

A Suggestion for FFG
These days, a path to consider with any adventure type game is to go the legacy route. I think that Fallout would be a better adventure game if it went in that direction. Or, perhaps more interestingly, FFG could create a legacy-expansion that would allow the players to play the legacy game, but also keep playing the original game. Just a thought.

Late to the review but wanted to add this on:

No.

Campaign mode? Yes. Longer branching stories? Yes. More carry over between sessions? Yes.

Legacy? No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.