Subject: When you WERE a Werewolf, but now are not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wil Wells
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
What is the proper etiquette and game play here?

Let's say you started out as the werewolf and as you should, when you opened your eyes, you saw the other werewolf.

During the night someone changed your card with a non-werewolf, thus you are no longer the werewolf (provided the person is not lying).

Is the proper way to play, now to say, "I was the werewolf, I'm not now, 'John' was the other werewolf, so we need to all vote for 'John,' or 'James' who now has my old werewolf card!"

Should the "was werewolf" throw the other werewolf under the bus and basically kill the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezequiel Genender
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KTrentLR wrote:
What is the proper etiquette and game play here?

Let's say you started out as the werewolf and as you should, when you opened your eyes, you saw the other werewolf.

During the night someone changed your card with a non-werewolf, thus you are no longer the werewolf (provided the person is not lying).

You say "provided the person is not lying" and that statement is everything. Everybody is able to lie, not only the were wolfs. Knowing that somebody is not lying is a LOT of information.

KTrentLR wrote:
Is the proper way to play, now to say, "I was the werewolf, I'm not now, 'John' was the other werewolf, so we need to all vote for 'John,' or 'James' who now has my old werewolf card!"

Should the "was werewolf" throw the other werewolf under the bus and basically kill the game?

If I was a werewolf and I'm confident enough that I'm no longer a werewolf, I believe the game encourages throwing the other werewolf under the bus. It basically gives me a lot of chances to win.

Having said that, I'll share a story from a game played:
I claimed to be the Troublemaker and nobody challenged. Then said I swapped James and John. I encourage John to say if he was a werewolf, since I can guarantee he's not anymore. He states without a doubt that he was, in fact a werewolf.
I then uncover the bluff, I actually didn't change anything, John was still a werewolf, and I convinced everyone to vote for John.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you see outing the other werewolf as killing the game, I'm not sure you're approaching things the right way.

Just because you say that the other person is a werewolf doesn't mean that people are going to believe you. It also doesn't mean that the other person is still a werewolf. And how would you know if the person that said they switched your card isn't lying?

I don't think the game is really about finding and killing werewolves. It's about figuring out who you are while revealing the least amount of helpful information to other players. This can only involve lying, no matter what side you're on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
ONUWW is not a team game. Your goal is not for the villagers to win. Your goal is to win yourself.

1.You try to find out who you are now as well as you can.
2.You try to find out who are on your team as well as you can.
3.You try to lead the other players to vote in the way you have the best chances of winning.

There are plenty of strategies in the game. Mostly you don't want to play in the same way always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KTrentLR wrote:

There are many situations where the werewolf is revealed rather easily and the round doesn't yield much drama thus "killing" the game. It is a social game and meant to be fun so throw the player under the bus, have a good laugh, and move on the next round. The only etiquette is don't be a dick and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you believe that you are no longer a werewolf and that the other person still is, you should definitely out them. The first few times this happens it will feel obvious to everyone who is telling the truth and seem anticlimactic, but the first time someone pulls off a lie like this things won't be the same. You might even find that someone else switched the other werewolf or even switched you back. (Occasionally it will still be anticlimactic, but hey it's a short game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The beautiful thing about ONUW is that every time the players learn a new trick, it feels like it's broken the game. But then somebody finds a way to subvert it and the fun resumes on a higher level.

For example, if somebody claims they were the Troublemaker and swapped you, when you started out as the Tanner, you could consider saying you started the night as a Werewolf and throw some random person under the bus by claiming they were the other Werewolf. Now, if the Troublemaker reveals they lied, you're pretty likely to get killed.

Alternatively, especially with low player counts, if you started as a Villager and believe that the Troublemaker switched you with somebody, it can be prudent to claim you started as the Werewolf in the hope you've become one.

Or, when somebody claims to be the Troublemaker, the other Werewolf can say "They're bluffing. They were actually the Drunk. I know because I was the Robber and I stole from them."

Or, there was one time when the Troublemaker chanced to claim they'd swapped the two Werewolves. Immediately, one of them claimed they'd started the night as the Tanner. That made people really reluctant to risk killing either of them.

And so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil Wells
United States
Bloomingdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for your comments and scenarios. I figured he didn't do anything wrong and if this hadn't been the third game of totally new players, it might have went smoother.

This was only our third game with everyone being new to the game. After this happened, the vibe in the room dropped and no one wanted to play anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KTrentLR wrote:
Thanks everyone for your comments and scenarios. I figured he didn't do anything wrong and if this hadn't been the third game of totally new players, it might have went smoother.

This was only our third game with everyone being new to the game. After this happened, the vibe in the room dropped and no one wanted to play anymore.

Understandable. It's really harsh when this happens to an inexperienced player - they feel like there was nothing they could have done.
As players get through more rounds, they start to see what options they could have gone with.
Could be an idea, once a round has ended like that, to tell the losing player(s) a couple of things they could have done to avoid defeat, just so that they can see they weren't automatically doomed to lose at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.