Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played for the second time this last weekend.
I proctored to allow for smooth gameplay and so I could really take it all in.

We played on Olympus. This seems like the best beginner map.

Player 1 was Ares.
He drafted team toss you around.
He had Achilles, the Minotaur and the Spartans.

Player 2 was Zeus.
He went team tactical.
Odysseus, Aecius, the Hopplites and the Amazons.

Player 3 was Hades.
She went team snatch and grab.
Radamanthus, The Fox, Centaurs and the Hounds.

Player 4 was Athena.
Team hyper active.
The Hydra, Agememnon, Infernal warriors.

The game began with Ares bosting of his prowess and how easily he will slaughter all before him. And he himself deployed and then inched forward in his next activation to start grabbing omphalos. The player also used AoW cards to deploy the rest of his troops in his first 2 turns.
This seems like a given in all games.
Everyone spends the first few activations to snatch a quick omphalos.

Zeus followed in kind by getting himself and Odysseus in play, then inching in to grab without appearing too agressive. He also used AoW cards to get his squads in.

Hades was much more passive. She merely got Hades into play and then the fox and conserved her hand while the rest of the players were deploying left and right.

Athena herself took a couple turns to make an appearance, but the Hydra was out and moving on Omphalos.

So after the first few turns the players eventually had most if not all their forces deployed.
Ares and Zeus each had an omphalos absorbed and were in position to get more.
Athena finally appeared and was ready to start absorbing. Meanwhile Hades still was just hovering around his starting area conserving cards.

So in turns 4 and 5 things started getting interesting.

Ares had only 1 absorbed omphalos, but was in position to absorb a 2nd and had 2 more right next to him. We made Athena and Zeus aware that only they were close enough to stop him.

And it was at this moment that Zeus absorbed his 2nd and was also poised to get his 3rd and 4th.
I made an announcement saying, so you all know, this game is ending very soon if you don't stop these two!
Now we all knew that activation cards were mostly spent. But the second the decks refresh, Ares and Zeus were going to absorb and win.

So Hades is a surprise moment of cunning, runs in with the fox and Radamanthus and thanks to gem collector, snatches 2 gems away from Zeus.

Athenas hydra moves in and mighty throws Ares and Achiles away from his omphalos and suddenly both of those gods have been moved out of the threat zone.

Ares then accepted Athenas challenge and moved in to engage Athenas forces. The hydra took a small chunk out of Ares and allowed Athena to gain an omphalos.

Zeus managed to absorb his 3rd omphalos, and we saw that his strategy was 100% omphalos victory. He chose not to engage Ares at all to not risk any retaliation as he needed all his life to withstand assaults while absorbing.
He saw the 4th omphalos was right in Ares's territory and he ran for it with Aecius at his side.

Hades took this opportunity to absorb some omphalos and felt the other 3 gods are best left to duke it out amongst themselves.
She was going for the sneak victory and had the omphalos near by to do it.

At this point 2 things happened.
Athena in her infinite wisdom accepted a ceasefire with Ares so they could each deal with the sneaky omphalos brother gods.

She also triggered the first deck refresh. And here was where Hades shined. While the other 3 gods burned through their decks, he who saved all his AoW cards and had much of his deck now had a huge hand. She smiled menacingly.

Zeus got his Amazons to the high ground and pelted Ares. Achilles saw this and ran up the high ground and made quick work of them, throwing the lone survivor down to the ground below.

Hades suddenly activated both her troops and in a stunning realization had the 2 fastest ones in the game. The centaurs and infernal hounds raced across the board to snatch an omphalos, and Ares and Zeus were too busy with eachother to pay them any mind.

Zeus then made his move, he made a mad dash for the 4th and final omphalos. He merely had to absorb it for the win on his next turn.

Hades continues carrying the omphalos back with her troops as Athena moved forward with hydra and owl to whittle him down.
Fortunately for Hades, troops were dying left and right so he was always at full and drawing cards regularly.

Ares was up and he had to either kill Zeus or throw him. Achiles pelted from the high ground and Ares ran in. Aecius's power to lock down troops was not a threat at this point as AoW cards were numerous due to the deck refresh, and the 3rd refresh was at hand due to Hades's card draw and snall deck.

Ares managed to throw Zeus away from the omphalos and had him at less than half life.
He exiled his omphalos cards to recover some of his lost life, again with his goal to make a dash to absorb before dying.

More clashes between Ares and Zeus ensued as Zeus tried to manuver back to the omphalos.

Meanwhile Hades got the 4th omphalos back to his zone and it was again in Athenas hands.
She moved in the hydra with block to lock him down and continue the assault.

The next deck refresh ensued and again, hands were filled and the remaining decks were small and soon to trigger the 4th.
We saw now that the deck refresh mechanic builds upon itself making each refresh after the first happen more rapidly leaving smaller decks each time.

Zeus again was on the omphalos but far from full life.
Suddenly the Minotaur, who was held back all game began charging forward. He smashed through troops and gods alike as he crippled Zeus's army and took out Athenas squads and left other units quite wounded.

The moment of truth came and despite his guarding units and lock down, Zeus could not keep Ares at bay and was again thrown from the omphalos and ultimately killed by Ares himself with the help of Achilles on the high ground.

Three gods left, All had either 3 omphalos absorbed or within grasp, save for Hades who was sitting on the 4th.

It was here where a massive battle erupted in Hades starting zone.
The Minotaur charged in and beat on all in its path. The Hydra regenerated nearly to full as it attacked in a frenzy.
Athena stayed safely behind and Agememnon slowly made his way over to join the fight.
Hades took many wounds, but Radhamanthus and the fox died, along with more squads keeping him at full life.
The omphalos glittered seductively as Hades desperately tried to get it from the hydra.

The 4th refresh triggered and things just got silly.
Now it was set up for every god to refresh on every players turn. All decks refreshed at about 3 cards and just kept getting redrawn.
So the draw phase and activations and AoW were essentially unlimited.
Everyone could activate two units of their choice each round and always use all of their abilities. Then in the next turn, decks refreshed again.
This benefited Ares and Athena the most as each round Athena could use strategist or Agememnon to activate 3 units and Ares could use all his powers making him a relentless slashing machine of death.

With all the units dead or not in range, Hades was no longer getting his life boost and he was out of units. His squads respawned and tried to defend him but in the end, tge god of the underworld fell to Athenas forces.

It was down to brother vs sister. Both gods exiled their omphalos cards to be at full life.

Athena assessed the battlefield.

The final omphalos was with her nearlt dead hydra and a nearly dead mibotaur. Agamemnon was wounded but alive.
And a full life Achiles and Ares were across the field.
She knew she would not win in going toe to toe with the god of war so she took a page from her fathers strategy and made a mad dash to absorb the omphalos.
Her infernal warriors got into speedbump position.
She ran in and saw to the monotaur drawing his last breath.

Ares assessed the field. He had 2 turns left to stop her.
He ran and frenzied with Achilles running at his side. Athena reached the omphalos and summoned her troops. She was fortified and ready to absorb.

Ares potentially final turn was up.
He ran in and slashed away at enemy troops.
He was within range of Athena.
It all came down to the luck of a mighty throw..

The dice were rolled...

And luck was on Ares side. Athena was thrown.

Athena was now desperate. Her armies were at the bridge of death. Ares and Achilles were still at full. She tried again for the omphalos and hoped luck would be on her side.
Will she be able to survive 4 attacks and not be thrown???

Ares was up and the flurry of blows ensued.
The Hydra fell, Agememnon followed.
The final attack on Athena commenced and once again, she was thrown.

Her armies crushed, her body broken, she knew it was over. She conceded to Ares who had the choice of beheading her or absorbing the final omphalos.

In the end in an un-Ares like gesture, he let his sister live and absorbed the final omphalos for the win!

In short, this match was intense. Every single player had their moment in the sun of "Oh no, they are about to win! Somebody stop them!"

***FINAL THOUGHTS***

This match was amazing and I couldn't be happier with how it played out.
A ton of back and forth momentum. Tons of carnage. My biggest concern was the lack of unit destruction in the playthrough videos im how no matter how much people tried, no unit but gods would die, save for the occasional unit of troops.
But in this game, troops died a plenty, almost every single non god unit was slain by games end and that is exactly what I hoped would happen.

Zeus had a very focussed game. He spent every activation maneuvering to get omphalos.
Odysseus did not do much for him. He mostly just parked in the middle edge of the board and shot an arrow once or twice. He met his end when Rhadamanthus shackled him and pulled him away from the Hopplites and he was eventually ravaged by Hades's army.

Aecius did not do too much as far as lock down because by the time he engaged Ares's forces, he had the AoW cards to flee his area.
He never used his unit exile power and mostly served as a omphalos gatherer and a guard.

Zeus himself focussed on relying on his guards and high stats to survive Ares and claim omphalos. He almost won but Ares got lucky with his mighty throw rolls.

Athena spent much of her game playing stop the leader. She gains the most credit for stopping every other deity from winning.
The hydra held its own and then some.
Agamemnon was a bit redundant to have as his ability was similar to Athenas, but he did provide an abundance of AoW cards.
Her infernal warriors were perpetually speed bumps and helped slow down Ares relentless assault.
She almost won but again, Ares's luck at mighty throw was uncanny.

Hades played a surprisingly devilish game. Everyone saw her style as a low threat by not doing much the first several rounds and suddenly went from being in last place to about to win.
She was a first time player and ended up drafting the best units for grabbing omphalos.
The Fox is always fun and sneaky. Rhadamanthus using his ranged grabbing was awesome. The fast running centaurs and hounds were very tactical.

Ares drafted a team built for one thing, combat and tossing people around.
I can not overemphasize the usefulness of Mighty Throw. Twice it stopped opponents from winning.
Achilles due to his slow movement didn't really turn any tides. He didn't get pulled into the fray until late game and even then Ares didn't really need him. His foes were too weak to challenge him.

I also want to reflect on the momentum building of deck refreshing. With each refresh the game took on a new dynamic.
And I have learned that units shine more at different times.
The beginning of the game is the most strategic. Here is where you decide if you are going the combat or the omphalos path.
You are at the mercy of your deck for units and have to adapt on the fly.

Once that first refresh hits, we see a shift in used units. Figures that laid dormant emerge and some well positioned units become a threat. Still tactical but highly intense.

The next deck refresh sees to everyone having their most of their deck in their hands and the game enters late game mode. Units that thrive on AoW cards become very powerful as they will activate incessantly. The game is now about who uses their best units the best.

And any refreshes beyond that completely turns the game into a maximized power battle.

This was a fantastic match. We learned a lot about what the game can do.

Hope you all enjoyed this report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best session report I have ever read. I am sitting here cleaning at home, and I started reading and had to sit down and finish it! I love reading about this game because I can picture all the action going on in my mind in vivid detail.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading more of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nussknackerz wrote:
This isn't the best session report I have ever read. I am sitting here cleaning at home, and I started reading and had to sit down and finish it! I love reading about this game because I can picture all the action going on in my mind in vivid detail.

Thanks again and looking forward to reading more of these!

So to clarify, it IS or it ISNT the best?
You said isnt, but your enthusiasm implies otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahaha! So sorry, edited it to IS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg MN
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great report. I have a God’s pledge and am going to play it for the first time this weekend, likely a 4 player skirmish. Your report just got me a whole new level of excited!

Anything you would recommend for a first time play? Rules that are easy to forget?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never turn your back on the Omphalos gathering player!

The few rules we missed when initially playing were that guard can be used multiple times in an attack.
Block does not stop omphalos from being absorbed, only claimed.
Results during 2nd onslaught can be used to raise another result.

ismist wrote:
Really great report. I have a God’s pledge and am going to play it for the first time this weekend, likely a 4 player skirmish. Your report just got me a whole new level of excited!

Anything you would recommend for a first time play? Rules that are easy to forget?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.