Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you don't need tweezers to play the game, it is not a wargame!
mb
I was wondering what (if any) games have been made by America's enemies? I am talking about America's enemies in wars from 1776 to the present. I am talking about designers and/or game companies.

I seem to remember a Japanese company made a bunch of games. Were there any about WW2?

1. What such games have been made?

2. Do they have a different tone than those made in the USA?

3. Are their any surprising omissions or additions to the rules in the game that aren't found in USA games of the same topic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are many many many games made in the UK, in Canada, in Germany, in Spain, in Japan, in Italy, in Russia etc.

Could you be more specific? What type of comments are you looking for? Are you specifically looking for games about wars in which the other country was fighting the USA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945 - designed by a Japanese chap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Fists of Our Fathers: Korean War

Iron Fists of Our Fathers II: Battle of Laocai

Chinese games about the Korean War and the Sino-Vietnamese misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812 about the war of 1812 seems to have a Canadian designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Madison's War: The Incredible War of 1812 was designed by a Canadian. I guess you can see the influence of that in the game's focus on the struggle over the Great Lakes region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Romero
Spain
Cerdanyola
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago 1898 by Spanish editor Soldados y Estrategia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
rubberchicken wrote:
There are many many many games made in the UK, in Canada, in Germany, in Spain, in Japan, in Italy, in Russia etc.

Could you be more specific? What type of comments are you looking for? Are you specifically looking for games about wars in which the other country was fighting the USA?

Yes. Thank you for clarifying this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dances With Militias
United States
Ethnic Spokanistan
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the titles listed were designed or published by "America's enemies."

So the answer would be No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sanches
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
CountDeMoney wrote:

O.K., America's past enemies.

I just remembered one: The Folgore expansion to Up Front. It was done in response to Avalon Hill's Desert War. The Italian designer thought the Italians were short changed. It actually works if you simply consider them Elite Italian troops (which they were.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
huskerdude wrote:
CountDeMoney wrote:

O.K., America's past enemies.

I just remembered one: The Folgore expansion to Up Front. It was done in response to Avalon Hill's Desert War. The Italian designer thought the Italians were short changed. It actually works if you simply consider them Elite Italian troops (which they were.)

I used to know the designer quite well. He referred to it as an “alternative depiction” of the Italians. That’s all. They are certainly more fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Delnore
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In response to the original question, there are a lot of Japanese wargames on the Pacific theater of World War II. In fact as far as I know this is the most popular topic in Japanese hobby wargaming, though maybe this is a function of which games get presented to Americans. I have played some of these games and did not perceive them as being particularly different from games on the same topic designed by Americans.

This is probably not what the author had in mind, but some games on the American Civil War or its battles strike me as being more strongly influenced by Northern or Southern views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's an interesting thread discussing some Soviet board games produced between the world wars.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Soviet wargames from the 50's-80's out there. But if they do exist, much less likely any these were translated/produced in English, so it's hard to find traces on-line. I would be very interested in what perspectives a Russian game designer may take for a COIN-style game about Cuba or Afghanistan, particularly one that is pro-Soviet era. Or even better, what perspectives we might see from a Cuban or Afghani game designer.

Here's an interesting thread discussing the lack of wargames produced in China.

Whenever I read a history book, I am usually very aware of the thesis/world view/bias that that particular author brings to how they depict past events. It's definitely harder for me when I play a hex-and-counter or CDG game to sense the thesis/world view/bias of the game designer, perhaps because of the blanket of abstraction and gamefication that is laid over the history.

I really enjoy the Grizzled, not that it takes the view/bias of the enemies but that it emphasizes more the non-combat aspects of conflicts, and which I feel are aspects more easily molded by the designer's world view. Kolejka and Raid on Taihoku are 2 others I want to try. My friend has This War of Mine: The Board Game, so I'm sure I will try it, but by not attempting to simulate a specific place, I am less interested. I would particularly like to see more of these types of games from designers that perhaps disagree with the dominant US view on various conflicts or have different world views.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.