Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just a couple of questions that came up regarding the Building action:

1. When building a town in a world through a series of connected lands, it appears you need settlements in all of the lands you are counting to create the group. Is that true? For example, in my game, Santa Maria - Caribbean is Plains, as is Appalachians. In order to build in Appalachia, to create a viable group, I will need at least 4 total connected lands (as the Caribbean won't count). Do all of them need to have a settlement? Or just the 3 that I am using to create the land type set?

2. When building a town via the same land in different worlds, do all 3 lands need settlements of that player? The rules suggest no, but the example suggests yes.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:

1. When building a town in a world through a series of connected lands, it appears you need settlements in all of the lands you are counting to create the group. Is that true? For example, in my game, Santa Maria - Caribbean is Plains, as is Appalachians. In order to build in Appalachia, to create a viable group, I will need at least 4 total connected lands (as the Caribbean won't count). Do all of them need to have a settlement? Or just the 3 that I am using to create the land type set?

Yes, you need a settlement (i.e. a settler, town or city) in all the lands which form part of your connected group.

Yes, to build in the Appalachians you will need a settler there and a settler/town/city in at least two other different types of land in a connected group which includes the Appalachians. The Caribbean doesn't count because it is the same land type as the Appalachians (in your example).
For example: Say you had a settler in Appalachians (Plains); Caribbean (Plains); Amazonia (Mixed); Andes (Mountains), these four lands forming a chain of connections (noting that Caribbean and Andes are NOT adjacent.) Then you would be able to build in the Appalachians because it is part of a connected group of lands where you have settlements and this connected group contains at least three different land types. If you removed the settler from the Caribbean, then the group is no longer connected, and you could not build a town. So in your example the Caribbean may not count towards a different land type, but (since Appalachians is only adjacent to the Caribbean) it is still vital to provide a connecting link to other lands.

ColintheFlea wrote:

2. When building a town via the same land in different worlds, do all 3 lands need settlements of that player? The rules suggest no, but the example suggests yes.

I'm not sure which rules are suggesting 'no'. The answer is yes, you need a settlement (settler/town/city) in each of the three lands with the same name. In this case the type of land is irrelevant. If you have a settler in Caribbean (Nina), Caribbean (Pinta) and Caribbean (Santa Maria) then you can build a town - assuming of course that the 'Build' token has been revealed for the particular world you wish to build in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. On checking the wording of the rules carefully, I think I see your problem. The rule about needing three lands (one from each world) doesn't make it clear that you have to have a settlement in each of these lands.

But that is surely implied - otherwise in what sense should we understand the condition "the land must be part of a group of three specific lands". Is this condition satisfied as soon as all three of the same specific land have been explored? I suppose it could be interpreted in that way, but then it would be easy to build pretty much anywhere later in the game. So, no, the three lands must be occupied in some way by your pieces. (To be specific: settler, town or city, but not Captain)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
P.S. On checking the wording of the rules carefully, I think I see your problem. The rule about needing three lands (one from each world) doesn't make it clear that you have to have a settlement in each of these lands.

But that is surely implied - otherwise in what sense should we understand the condition "the land must be part of a group of three specific lands". Is this condition satisfied as soon as all three of the same specific land have been explored? I suppose it could be interpreted in that way, but then it would be easy to build pretty much anywhere later in the game. So, no, the three lands must be occupied in some way by your pieces. (To be specific: settler, town or city, but not Captain)

You are correct, in that it could be implied. But seeing as it would have been easy to write the rule to say that, I wanted to make sure it wasn't intentionally written that way. Seeing as it didn't seem to come up already, I wanted to check. And, as I mentioned, the example also seems to confirm that you need a settlement in each, it appeared to contradict the rule.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.