6 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Received the game for Christmas, now what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Salisbury
msg tools
Afternoon,

Recently received this crack cocaine addiction of a game for Christmas and need assistance to balance our small collection out. Looking for a well balanced playing field.

My family recently received this game for the holidays and are very anxious to learn to play and add new ships to the collection. I was hoping you all could assist us in this endeavor.

For Christmas they received the following:

2 Starter sets (4 TIE fighters, 2 X Wings)
2 A Wings
1 Millennium Falcon
1 TIE Interceptor

My son really wants the B Wing, so I will be using Christmas money to obtain this. Knowing what you all know - how would you proceed to balance out these ships to make a fun and engaging collection? I imagine we would be casual players and not yet for any local competitions at our shops.

Hope to here from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now what? Now enjoy this brilliant game and the very friendly community.

For further buys, the 'Aces & Veterans packs' are really great to get some more ships and cards to broaden your tactical possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you could use an imperial boost.
a decimator would be a nice match to your falcon.
Imperial aces is 2 more interceptors, with some nice upgrades.
Inquisitor's Tie wouldn't be a bad matchup
of course, the tie fighter expansion is good.

if you want to get a b-wing, perhaps the 'rebel aces expansion, which also has some nice stuff for the A-wings you already have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cold Toilet Seat
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend purchasing an X-Wing and TIE fighter expansion. Even though you already have two X-Wings and four TIE fighters, each of these "vanilla" expansions come with additional pilots and cards that are not included in the starter set.

And I echo the other sentiments here: X-Wing Miniatures is a great game with a really active & friendly community. I haven't played X-Wing recently, but I have a lot of fond memories and look forward to playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffjohnson9046 wrote:
I would recommend purchasing an X-Wing and TIE fighter expansion. Even though you already have two X-Wings and four TIE fighters, each of these "vanilla" expansions come with additional pilots and cards that are not included in the starter set.

And I echo the other sentiments here: X-Wing Miniatures is a great game with a really active & friendly community. I haven't played X-Wing recently, but I have a lot of fond memories and look forward to playing it again.

While I agree this is a good idea eventually. It is easier to use a list builder site, and use that instead of getting the expansions for those unique pilots. You don't need the cards to play those pilots, only the ships. An X-wing is an X-wing no matter who is piloting it. As long as you can keep it straight which ship is which you can use any pilot's ship marker and keep the pilot on a separate sheet to proxy in. Save your money for expansions with ships you don't have. Unless of course you want o fly 3 X-wings or a swarm of TIE fighters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
TinMan886 wrote:
Afternoon,

Recently received this crack cocaine addiction of a game for Christmas and need assistance to balance our small collection out. Looking for a well balanced playing field.

My family recently received this game for the holidays and are very anxious to learn to play and add new ships to the collection. I was hoping you all could assist us in this endeavor.

For Christmas they received the following:

2 Starter sets (4 TIE fighters, 2 X Wings)
2 A Wings
1 Millennium Falcon
1 TIE Interceptor

My son really wants the B Wing, so I will be using Christmas money to obtain this. Knowing what you all know - how would you proceed to balance out these ships to make a fun and engaging collection? I imagine we would be casual players and not yet for any local competitions at our shops.

Hope to here from you.

Welcome to the community! Get yourself an avatar and a few microbadges!!

You have a good starter collection--I would pick up that B-Wing and maybe a TIE advanced. Then play a bunch of games and see what you like about the different ships and their play styles. Then make some choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.