Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Kid Kaiju Mastermind Custom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Mastermind spun out of a conversation in another thread regarding the Champions set, and whether Kid Kaiju could actually be a Mastermind. It got me thinking of how you would do a Mastermind that wasn't actually a Villain, that you didn't want to fight. It got me figuration that before he was a Hero, Kid Kaiju powers were uncontrolled and he would accidentally summon monsters that would rampage. This custom is suppose to represent that. The Heroes will fight the rampaging monsters, but not actually fight the Mastermind himself.

Please note that I have not actually play-tested this Mastermind, but I was just excited to share him. Feedback is welcome.

The Mastermind himself. The text is a bit small because I had some rule changes to make him work. I haven't printed him out yet, so I don't know if the words are actually too small. If they are, I'm going to just make a separate Setup card for him. As you can see, because you can't actually fight Kid Kaiju, your road to victory will be a bit different. You still defeat him by defeating all of his Tactics, but you have to wait for them to enter the city. Since Master Strikes are the only way the Mastermind can get his Tactics to enter the city you have to make sure they just don't all get eliminated. That's why you keep shuffling them back into the deck.

I've already noticed a couple of typos after uploading this stuff, so changes are imminent. In Kid Kaiju it's supposed to be "not completed" instead of "no completed". Smashers card references Aegis. At first I was going to make that card Aegis, but couldn't find a picture I liked.

Do the rules on Kid Kaiju make sense? Any problems people are seeing in how it works? I do think that a Mastermind like this would probably be tougher in Solo, but would make a good Mastermind when playing with more than 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I understand your idea of a Mastermind that you don't fight just fine. I don't know who this is, other than probably the reason the Monsters Unleashed story line probably came about, so I can't comment on how well you captured the feel of the big monsters of the story or Kid Kaiju, but it looks like you did OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the cards. They seem like real power houses, and the mastermind uses a unique mechanic for himself too which I think works very well. I do have one concern about Smasher's card though.

In the text, it reads:
"Aegis gets +1/// for each Tech Hero in the HQ."

Who/what is aegis? I assume this was a typo, perhaps the villain's original name was aegis, but I would suggest you might want to fix this part since it could end up confusing others if they decided to play against this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Snaer
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you'd like a more cohesive way to word Kid Kaiju's special rules, perhaps you could look at trying this way (the text would still go above Kid's Always Leads rule).

"Special Rules: You cannot fight Kid Kaiju, only tactics that are in the city. Shuffle a Master Strike back into the deck if, a tactic escapes or, the strike could not be completed. Kid Kaiju is defeated when all Tactics are in players' victory piles."

I think this way would keep it just as clear, and also provide more room to enlarge the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SnaerSnare wrote:
I like the cards. They seem like real power houses, and the mastermind uses a unique mechanic for himself too which I think works very well. I do have one concern about Smasher's card though.

In the text, it reads:
"Aegis gets +1/// for each Tech Hero in the HQ."

Who/what is aegis? I assume this was a typo, perhaps the villain's original name was aegis, but I would suggest you might want to fix this part since it could end up confusing others if they decided to play against this set.

Yeah, I have that in the original post. Aegis is one of Kid Kaiju's creation's. I was originally going to have that tactic be Aegis, but switched it to Smasher because I couldn't find a good picture of Aegis. I need to update the card, and will as soon as I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Smasher Tactic has been fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.