Subject: Clan of Saar overpowerd at 4 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I was thinking about the clan of saar and realised that they are abble to colonize4 to 5 different systems (depending the strategy card) and this only in the first round (five systems means up to a maximum of 10 planets) + while getting one trade good per planet colonized this seems INSANE....

What do you think? is colonizing 5 systems in first round not too much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Saar would need Warfare to take 5 systems and they'd need to build another CV, but it is possible. The Clan of Saar is a very powerful early game faction the rest of the board should take care to limit what they can do if possible. I think their weakness is spreading themselves too thin. To take 5 systems they can only have one or two particularly strong points which will be where their Space Dock(s) end up. Set up pressure on the weak points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Fischer
Netherlands
Den Haag
---
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find out. Test it in play. Report back with your findings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
While maybe theoretically possible, I highly doubt this would ever actual occur in a real game.

You’d definitely need warfare, another CV, and another few GF’s.. and everything would have to be perfectly timed with no interference from your neighbours.

If Mentak happens to be your neighbour you’d get wiped out the next round, and Im sure you next thread would be ‘ Mentak Coliation overpowered at 4 players?’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badoux Jerome
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mb
it is not as realistic, if you are first player you ick warfare as fisrt SC and Construction as the second (as construction is rarely picke first it is very likely to come back to you for your second card)

the only other requirement is that you should be moving once before the tech strategy cards is used and last the diplomacy should be used before leadership... all those conition are very likely (it will not happen evertime but it will not be so rare)....

In almost any other case you will still be able to colonize 4 systems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Stroom
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having Mentak as your neighbor is the worst thing as Saar. Any time you would go over 2 TGs, Mentak would take anything you would get. So your only way to go then is to move EVERYTHING against Mentak and wipe him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Naz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agone07 wrote:
it is not as realistic, if you are first player you ick warfare as fisrt SC and Construction as the second (as construction is rarely picke first it is very likely to come back to you for your second card)

the only other requirement is that you should be moving once before the tech strategy cards is used and last the diplomacy should be used before leadership... all those conition are very likely (it will not happen evertime but it will not be so rare)....

In almost any other case you will still be able to colonize 4 systems

In 4 player games the "Warfare + X" combos are very powerful for every race round one and two and so on... As long as Politics keeps rotating the speaker around, every other player will get the chance to do it themselves at some point.

Also, using CC to move all these various ship groups turns this strategy into almost a ZERO sum game. You conquer more planets to get Influence, to move your forces, to conquer more planets... The size of your total force can fall behind, which when combined with the fact that your total force is already split into groups, can make you very weak everywhere.

It is a very powerful strategy and it can be used to great effect. But so far we have not found it OP at all. Our current Metagame has shown the Saar neighbors that they just start moving in on Saar's turf round two and take all their planets that are a couple systems behind the Spacedocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding 4 Player games in general, the default map having too much space is to blame for a lot of its flaws. I highly recommend hooliganj's alternate setup. We've played with the 4 player layout twice, and it is totally solid, making it feel much closer to a normal game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hendry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't think so, as long as the opponents of the Clan understand their strengths and how to stop them: I played 3player CoS, L1Z1X and Mentak and the CoS steamrolled us because we didn't understand how to stop them (L1Z1X and Mentak both inexperienced players) but having now seen what they can do, I understand how one goes about countering it. Go against them early, hit them where they're weak and starve them of resources and you should do fine. In that particular game, the Mentak player didn't really use the strengths of the race to steal their trade goods and only built Cruiser IIs on the second last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Master
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I think they can easily colonize 5 systems, even without a carrier build (i'll let others figure out how themselves).

Still, having a great start in TI is not necessarily a good thing. You spread out, you look big, if your opponents are any good they'll come and kill you the big target :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Cavalier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played as CoS in a 4 player game ... and yeah, I steamrolled my opponents. They let me expand unchecked for 3 turns, grabbed Rex and imperial for the remaining turns.
Being able to turtle on Rex, and abandon your home is pretty insane. Also, leaving half your fleet in an adjacent asteroid field (Chaos mapping) allows you to slowly expand unchecked as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McCoy
msg tools
Sounds like you're going to spend an arm and a leg in command counters bringing your fleet back together. If this "5-plant turn 1 expand" puts more than 1 of my carriers out of range to reunite, it sounds like a waste of time. Gonna have to get gravity drive to fix that, which is often a 'meh' Saar tech.

If you don't have a ball moving towards objectives by the end of round 2 you are in a lot of deep trouble as the Saar - because half of the races are close to some tech or flagship that will push your shit in.

I mean if these planets are in a nice path, sure, you got some stuff and 5-10 TGs. It's not the end of the world from the other players perspectives. Logically, votes will already be against you and trade partners should stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.